Speyer

Speyer

Beitragvon Uschi » So Mär 23, 2003 3:17 pm

The fan meeting

This time Irene and I were more cautious concerning the traffic and we left Birte's place, where we had spent the time after the Cologne gig, with plenty of time ahead. Still we were affected by delays on the motorway but not in the way we had anticipated.

We had just checked into the hotel and were bringing our luggage to our room when Irene's mobile rang. Susi:'Where are you?', 'We've just arrived, where do we find you?'
'If you just cross the square in front of the hotel, there is a building with the word 'Tageszentrum' written on it'.

Irene and I were just crossing the square when we saw Susi, Franzi and Girl from Bavaria going into the building. When we entered the building we were greeted by a defensive-looking staff person. 'Please, where is the fan meeting taking place?' 'Fan meeting?' she asked back. 'Yes, the Saga fan meeting'. No reply just irritated glances.
'We want to see Frau Zirnik, please', 'This way' she pointed behind her. Phew, we could pass!

The corridor let to a small hall ahead and a big room on the right hand side where we would hand out the Saga Germany t-shirts, tickets and sell non-alcoholic drinks. The meeting was sceduled for three pm, now it was a quarter past two.

The small hall was filled with chairs as if for a press conference. Susi informed us that according to Mike Ellis' wishes this was exactly NOT what was required. Susi asked the staff for tables and we soon started to re-arrange the seating order. More and more of the hardcore fans of Saga-Germany arrived. Chris (who stopped counting the Saga concerts to which she had been after her 23rd concert), Danny and her husband 'Sleeping On The Sofa' (he always slept on the sofa while Danny was in the chatroom with us), Girl from Bavaria (who arranges her business trips around the tour dates of Saga, but please, keep it a secret, her boss would drop down dead if he knew), Bandido (our local guide in Cologne), dear Lilo (who always finds a solution for everything and helped quietly and efficiently), Speedy (always ready for jokes), Achim, this time with his beautiful wife Susanne (who will be soon in Scotland!), then there was Franzi (Susi's lively daughter), Ginko (whom I would have beaten up if I would have known that his pics would end up on the Saga Germany site) and many more.

While Susi with her helpers were trying to set up the technical equipment for the surprise Mike Ellis had announced, Lilo, Irene, Speedy, Girl from Bavaria and I were taking our places in the room ready for handing out the t-shirts, tickets etc. except they hadn't arrived yet and neither had Saga . They were still on the motorway.

When the first fans arrived we started taking money knowing that Joe (the fantastic local organizer) was on his way with the goodies. We put names to faces, exchanged greetings and I got increasingly nervous. Finally we got the tickets and we asked all already seated fans to come in again and collect their tickets. Once they had taken their seats again the t-shirts arrived. At least it didn't get boring that way...

Mike Ellis was suddenly there too, he talked with Susi, it was arranged that Saga would come over after the sound check, he would give Susi a ring. Meantime we were treated to the Silhouette DVD. Actually we saw the beginning twice as Girl from Bavaria accidently pulled out the cable (nothing to make anyone angry as it is a great DVD).

Just when I thought I can't bear it any longer Susi came to us 'The band are on their way, they are coming!'

My head was spinning. We greeted them at the door and showed them in. They took their seats in front of the fans and I said a few words to make them feel welcome and to thank them for this great opportunity to meet them this way. It was not easy as I was not only lost for words but not used to speaking in front of a crowd or my favourite rock band either!

Fans then had the opportunity to ask questions which was not used to the extent I had expected. Maybe the most felt like I did. Having those men who made the music that accompanied me for years and meant so much to me so close was an awesome and overwhelming experience. It was just enough to enjoy the moment.
After those few questions Mike Ellis suggested that people could get their stuff signed and this was an opportunity which was widely used.
I 'm now the lucky owner of a signed Marathon booklet and I even managed to exchange a few words with each of the band members.
There was even time to speak to Mike Ellis who told us some fine on-the-road stories too.

It was now time for the band to leave as there was only an hour left until the concert.

I'm sorry that Graham and the guys from A.C.T couldn't make it because of the delay but there is always a next time, right?

Again I would like to thank Saga and Mike Ellis for their kindness and the time we could spend with them.

.....To be continued.....
Uschi

Beitragvon Uschi » Di Apr 01, 2003 12:05 pm

Weescotsman wrote such a brilliant review that there is not much to add except maybe to describe the events from a spectator's point of view.

After the meeting was over we had very little time left before the concert started so Irene, Lilo and I brought our signed treasures to our hotel rooms and then walked over to the hall which was also conveniently close.

By the time we arrived an impressive queue had built up in front of the hall. We looked for familiar faces and found them in Achim and Susi, Chris, Roland,..... in excited anticipation we exchanged stories and speculations. Finally the doors opened and we went in. I lost the others when I went straight to the merchandise. Last time I didn't get round to it and I didn't want to make the same mistake twice. Only this time I was too early. Mike Ellis told us that Silhouette should be on sale but the DVDs hadn't arrived yet (and when my sister looked later it was already sold out )
In every other respect I was lucky, I got a copy of Last Epic and made my way through the crowd to the front right hand side where I found all the other guys. I spotted Amy getting a camera on a tripod ready for the A.C.T concert. She was soon joined by Susi, no less busy getting a camera out too.

When A.C.T came on stage I could tell by the audience greeting that for many this was not the first time and were delighted to have them back. I was excited as Graham had promised in Cologne a different set of songs and I was not disappointed! After the last song the audience demanded more...and they really came back on stage giving 'Take It Easy' as an encore.

About Ray Wilson I can't say much as I was busy with something else at the time but one thing was for sure that I missed out on something great. The audience sung along with him and the applause was phenomenal. That much I could hear from where I stood. Ray Wilson too gave an encore.

Then Saga came on stage and the magic was there right from the beginning. The audience (aged between mid fifties and early teens) seemed to become another instrument that Michael Sadler played to perfection. They sung along with most of the songs, knowing the lyrics by heart.

Then the band left the stage except for Daryl who gave a solo which I, and seemingly many other people, loved despite the slight criticism the artist himself uttered sometime later about his playing. With the start of Chapter One the band returned to the stage and the audience celebrated each of the Chapter songs. I have to admit that I was deeply touched, especially by 'No Regrets'. I had a tear in my eye as I never hoped to hear this song performed live.

Other than in Cologne, where I couldn't see Steve Negus properly, I now could admire his play in full. It became pretty obvious what Charlotte Roche (presenter at the German music TV channel Viva) meant when she said 'The drummer is that person in the band which turns an excellent band into an ingenious band'. Steve's playing seemed so effortless and at the same time so incredibly complex, just like magic.

The 'master thrower of shapes' had this time to overcome just one slight difficulty. Almost from the start the audience got carried away when they were singing along to 'You're Not Alone' and made a mess out of the song. Michael made the audience become quiet, divided the hall in two halves then continued the interrupted song and made the audience sing alternately the chorus. What a great song it was!

Ian swapped between four guitars throughout the concerts, sometimes within a song and playing in the same concentrated fashion which can be seen on so many photos... awesome! This man can play guitar :2:
I'm sorry that I can't report much about Jim as I was both times on the very right of the stage and Jim most of the times on the very left.

When they played 'Humble Stance' this time I had the impression something was different (or maybe it was just me) but it went right inside me and I felt the song more than that I heard it - a very emotional experience!

The overall impression was that the guys had lots of fun. Later, when I had the opportunity to ask Daryl what he and Michael were talking about at the keyboards, Daryl pointed out that Michael had poked him with both hands in his sides during 'See Them Smile' while Daryl was playing, thus making him jump! I missed that bit; probably spellbound by Steve who was no less busy in interacting.

After the encore Michael sat down on stage taking a boy beside him for a photo and then Saga went off stage leaving an audience with the memories of an unforgettable, wonderful concert.

Thanks for the music! :12: :love: :love: :love: :12:
Uschi

Beitragvon Birdy » Di Apr 01, 2003 4:06 pm

Dear Uschi,thank you so much for sharing those precious moments with us!!!
Wonderful... :D
Birdy
Orga Team
Orga Team

Beitragvon FlyerPR » Fr Apr 11, 2003 9:44 pm

Hello to everyone, from Puerto Rico :eg:
Hello Uschi and Susi!!
FlyerPR

Beitragvon Susi » Fr Apr 11, 2003 9:46 pm

Hi Flyer :wink: nice to see you here :)
Susi

Beitragvon FlyerPR » Fr Apr 11, 2003 9:46 pm

...im flyerprico in worlds apart...nice to be here,what a great site this is! Congratulations!!:eg:
im going to learn a lot of german but in the meantime im using altavista translator :rofl:
FlyerPR

Beitragvon Hiromi » Mo Apr 14, 2003 1:30 pm

Wilkommen, FlyerPRico! :D

Hiromi
Hiromi

Zurück zu SAGA Fans around the world