Saga's Generation 13

Saga's Generation 13

Beitragvon mouseinamaze » So Okt 26, 2008 6:02 pm

This seems to be an album people either love or hate, I happen to think it's a great album that is often overlooked in their catalog.
I think part of the reason for this is because it is, to me, quite a bit different from their normal "Saga" style. The diversity of styles in the 25 songs stretch from Metal-like chunky, searing guitars to church organs to orchestral but through them all Saga shines through.
Concept albums, especially 2cd ones are generally a tough sell because it requires "listening" and at least a 1 1/2 hour commitment to listening to the whole thing(I often get around this by listening to side 1 and then in a day or so listening to side 2).
I have to put this ambitious recording up there with concept albums like Marillion's Brave, IQ's Subteranea, Arena's Visitor, Dreamtheater's Scenes from a Memory and many more.
It seems concept albums are usually "risktakers" for a band because they tend to appeal to hardcore fans, whereas the general public are more interested in short songs which require little attention, therefore these types of albums generally lack commercial success.

I think Generation 13 came at a perfect time for Saga, perhaps they had "tapped the well" in their songwriting and were beginning to sound the same, often bordering near commercial. Generation 13 allowed them to stretch themselves as musicians and it often sounds like they were having fun as well. I think Generation 13 served to rekindle their creative streak allowing them to rediscover themselves as musicians.

Interesting sidenote, the voice of Sam(on a good day) is the very talented Mr Jim Gilmour, my wife and I were trying to guess one night while listening and interestingly his name is who we came up with....why? because he has an impish personality. :lol:

I've often wondered who approached the band about tackling such a massive project, my guess is Jim Crichton, if anyone knows please let us know.
Also as a musician and an owner of an Ensoniq VFX-SD I'm curious if they used one on this project because I could swear I hear it in quite a few places.

If you own this cd and haven't listened to it for some time I would recommend pulling it out and giving it a listen, you might be surprised how many gems are buried inside
until next time............................."my name is sam" :D
Zuletzt geändert von mouseinamaze am So Okt 26, 2008 6:11 pm, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
mouseinamaze

Beitragvon Trudes Oude Voshaar » So Okt 26, 2008 6:08 pm

It's my favourite album from Saga. :)

I love it!!!!!!!
Trudes Oude Voshaar
Contributors
Contributors

Beitragvon mouseinamaze » So Okt 26, 2008 6:10 pm

That's great, my wife and I have been listening to it the last two weekends and now she's running around her workplace singing my name is Sam.. :lol:

I tried creating a poll but it's not publishing????
mouseinamaze

Beitragvon Tillmann » So Okt 26, 2008 6:42 pm

I love Gen13!!! :hase: :P

It's genius and probably one Saga's best albums! 8) Genius music, a great story and just a cool atmosphere :P

10/10! :P
Tillmann

Beitragvon Trudes Oude Voshaar » So Okt 26, 2008 7:56 pm

yes i know what you mean. :)

I listend to this album a couple of weeks every day on and on.
So much diferent things you can hear in this album, really a masterpiece!

I think tilman knows how a poll is working.
Trudes Oude Voshaar
Contributors
Contributors

Beitragvon mouseinamaze » So Okt 26, 2008 10:15 pm

I'm happy to see there are other's who love this cd as much as we do, I thought it might've become obscure and lost in their catalog of material.:D
Again listening to it today, there is such a wealth of music that can appeal to every mood,
I find parts of it playing in my mind when I least expect it.:sing:
mouseinamaze

Beitragvon Tillmann » So Okt 26, 2008 11:06 pm

Eddy Oude Voshaar hat geschrieben:yes i know what you mean. :)

I listend to this album a couple of weeks every day on and on.
So much diferent things you can hear in this album, really a masterpiece!

I think tilman knows how a poll is working.

But, what about? A poll about the certain songs?
Tillmann

Beitragvon mouseinamaze » Mo Okt 27, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi Tillmann, I was just trying to run a poll whether Generation 13..Love it or Forget it? and it never published after I submitted but it's no big deal, I just wondered what happened.
mouseinamaze

Beitragvon rael689237 » Sa Nov 15, 2008 7:54 am

I too am a huge fan of Saga's Generation 13. It is certainly one of the best concept albums of the 90's. Heck, it's one of the top concept albums period. This comes from a person who loves 2112, The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway, Tarkus, and even Duran Duran's Medazzaland. Medazzaland might not be a concept album in the strictest since, but I think that all of the songs on there share a common theme. I think it's about the highs and lows of living in the limelight.

Back to Saga, I am an involuntary member of Generation 13. I was born in 1971. There are many times that I feel much the same way towards Generations 11 and 12 as Jeremy does on the album. Especially those members of Generation 12 born between 1940 and 1949. Those born during or after 1950 seem to have a better attitude than the older ones. The bottom line is that I can very much identify with the theme of this album.
rael689237

Beitragvon mouseinamaze » So Nov 16, 2008 5:22 pm

I've never read the book this album was loosely based on but I like how you feel connected with it's theme.
I was born in 1947 and think I have a great attitude. :lol:
I think because I've been involved in writing music(a hobby) since my early 20's it keeps me young at heart, for in art age is usually a non issue.

I can still do a great headbanging :1: when listening to Dreamtheater, Nickelback, 10years and I was just introduced to Snow Patrol whose new album A Hundred Million Suns is in constant rotation at my house.(Highly recommended, the production, arrangements, songwriting, instrumentation and vocals are **** four stars IMO).
mouseinamaze

Beitragvon Acai » Mi Dez 17, 2008 10:06 am

I totally agree to your posts. Generation 13 is fantastic. Put the headphones over your ears, make yourselft comfortable on the sofa, close your eyes and listen to it entirely....it´s amazing how many sounds, styles instruments and effects can be discovered on this album. A masterpiece!

BTW: Generation 13 Theme#1 was onced used in German television in a trailer for a soccer game....years ago. Couldn´t believe it.
Acai

Beitragvon mouseinamaze » Do Dez 18, 2008 2:32 am

Acai hat geschrieben:t´s amazing how many sounds, styles instruments and effects can be discovered on this album. A masterpiece!

BTW: Generation 13 Theme#1 was onced used in German television in a trailer for a soccer game....years ago. Couldn´t believe it.

very true, it is amazing and easy to hear different things with each listen.

Interesting about the theme being used on German TV, at least we know someone there has great taste in music. :D
mouseinamaze

Beitragvon Acai » Do Dez 18, 2008 11:00 am

mouseinamaze hat geschrieben:
Acai hat geschrieben:t´s amazing how many sounds, styles instruments and effects can be discovered on this album. A masterpiece!

very true, it is amazing and easy to hear different things with each listen.

Interesting about the theme being used on German TV, at least we know someone there has great taste in music. :D

Probably the guy who chose the song was fired afterwards..... :roll: didn´t hear anything from Saga again on this channel (I think it was SAT.1)
Acai

Zurück zu SAGA Fans around the world