[2006] SAGA at Sam's - Review

[2006] SAGA at Sam's - Review

Beitragvon Puujisan » Do Nov 23, 2006 6:23 am

Hi Everyone! I just joined the site and thought I would post a review of the SAGA 'Trust' party at Sam the Record Man .

10 stars out of 5!! :rofl: The new material is AMAZING!!

I knew they were going to be great, but they ABSOLUTELY tore the roof off of old Sam's!! It is really unbelievable how incredible SAGA is live. The unison playing was tight, Michael had the crowd completely with him, (and looked great with blonde hair). Ian seemed to be stretching out a lot more in his solos and I liked the edgy quality this gave songs like 'You're Not Alone' and 'Trust'. Both 'Jims' were their usual physically reserved selves, yet this is what makes SAGA work so well visually too. You don't want to see everyone running around, and the Jims were the appropriate phsycial 'straight men' to Michael's operatic gesturing. Gilmour J. nailed the keyboard/vocal parts, and Crichton J. was his usual perfect self on his bass and (new) MiniMoog.

And, God bless Brian, but it was a HUGE pleasure to see Steve Negus on the drumkit. Steve, along with Neil Peart of RUSH, put Canadian drumming on the world musical map, and there is no reason to ask why once you have actually heard him. Technically perfect drumming yet with a loose, organic feel to it, it almost isn't a scientific possibility, yet Steve somehow does it. I actually had the pleasure of listening to Steve soundchecking his kit in the afternoon, and he spent a lot of that time playing the shuffle-like beat from "Sound of Strangers". Deceptively easy sounding groove, but notoriously difficult to actually PLAY, or make sound relaxed.But that's SAGA for you, the epitome of excellence no matter how you analyse them.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, SAGA for this f**king AMAZING gig! I'll never forget it!!
Puujisan

Beitragvon PGM » Do Nov 23, 2006 6:56 am

Great Review.

Welcome to the forum!
PGM
Management

Beitragvon Ronster » Do Nov 23, 2006 7:21 am

Well said, Puujisan, and agreed. A fantastic show!!!!
Ronster

Beitragvon Oliver.Lucas » Do Nov 23, 2006 7:29 am

Thanks, looking forward to seeing them in Germany.... :)
Mein Lieblingstier isst Ameisen
Oliver.Lucas

Beitragvon GUDRUN » Do Nov 23, 2006 7:39 am

Thans Puujisan :D
Das Wenige, das Du tun kannst ist viel -
wenn Du nur Schmerz und Angst und
Weh von einem Wesen nimmst.
(Albert Schweitzer)

Bild
GUDRUN
Contributors
Contributors

Beitragvon Harald » Do Nov 23, 2006 8:26 am

Thanks for the review ;)
We're looking forward to see SAGA in Germany :hase:
..and Michael again with blonde hair......oh no...
Harald
Harald
Orga Team
Orga Team

Beitragvon shaft » Do Nov 23, 2006 10:07 am

Welcome on board Puujisan :wink:

Thanks for the great review and what :o
Michel with blond hair

.... what a hell :rofl: :rofl:
Grüßle Roman
Bild
shaft

Beitragvon Carmen » Do Nov 23, 2006 11:51 am

Great review thanx so much Puujisan ;)
.....TRUST yourself.....
Carmen
Contributors
Contributors

Beitragvon Carmen » Do Nov 23, 2006 11:54 am

Harald hat geschrieben:..and Michael again with blonde hair......oh no...

he is allways good for surprises ;)
Sadler foreverBild
.....TRUST yourself.....
Carmen
Contributors
Contributors

Beitragvon Tillmann » Do Nov 23, 2006 2:38 pm

Yeah! Good Review! :D

And I think Michael looks very interesting and good with blonde hair! :)

Like 2003 :D

;)
Tillmann

Beitragvon jeeep » Do Nov 23, 2006 4:08 pm

Great review thanks !!

Does anybody know when the filmed show will actually be available for viewing on sagaontour.ca ?

On Tuesday at 7PM I was browsing the site to see if the show was a live web broadcast...stupid me :roll: I live at about 700 KM from Toronto...have kids so wasn't possible for me to get there on a weekday (on top) !
jeeep

Beitragvon PGM » Do Nov 23, 2006 10:37 pm

Spoke to the company that taped it today. Will have more news soon!
PGM
Management

Danke Schoen Germany!!

Beitragvon Puujisan » Fr Nov 24, 2006 2:27 am

You guys in Germany are in for a real treat! This gig at Sam's was a HUGE success and I am sure the band will be bringing the energy and love from this show out there to all of you folks in Deutschland.

Just wait till you hear the new material live, you won't believe it...'Trust' and 'That's as Far as I Go' are already classic SAGA tracks as far as I am concerned. All the great SAGA songs have SUPER catchy choruses and hooks to them and this new record is no different. I'll bet the band was shocked to hear and see everyone singing along on the new material like we had been listening to it for years! I am COMPLETELY, SERIOUSLY thinking of taking a couple weeks off and coming to Germany to see some of the shows. It's only been a couple of days but I am DYING to see SAGA again! Yes, that indeed is "as far as I (would) go"!!!

By the way, I think we SAGA fans here in Canada owe you guys in Germany a HUGE thank you for all your support of this band throughout the years. Canada is a strange place. We have amazing bands like SAGA yet we don't seem to appreciate them as much as people from other countries do. Even with major hits like 'What Do I Know?', 'I'm the Flyer', and 'Scratching the Surface' , it's been the REAL fans who have kept listening to SAGA and Germany in particular has shown their musical good taste and sophistication in supporting this great music. So as a Canadian I would like to say a big "DANKE"' to all my German brothers and sisters out there.

SAGA rules, and so do you!! :D
Puujisan

Beitragvon Hinterländer » Fr Nov 24, 2006 2:51 am

:oops: big words. I'm verry impressed, thank you, thank SAGA and all fans arround the world. :daumen:

Kanada have great musicans, Rush and Saga for example.
Der Serverpapa / Serveradmin

Anthony's Law of Force: "Don't force it, get a larger hammer." :klopf:
Hinterländer
Contributors
Contributors

Zurück zu News 2001 - 2006