October 4 show in Barrie, CA

October 4 show in Barrie, CA

Beitragvon fhemmer209 » Fr Okt 05, 2007 3:35 pm

I flew up from Florida to see the show last night and it was worth the 15 hours it took me to get there. Even though this was the first show of this tour they were very tight and didn't really display any rustiness you sometimes find with opening night shows. After being a Saga fan for approximately 25 years this was my first time to see them live.

Overall I thought the performance was excellent, much the same as on the Worlds Apart DVD. Michael was very animated and all the guys seemed to really be having a lot of fun, not only playing the music but with goofing with each other during the songs.

Goddo opened the show and came on late.... somewhere about 10:00. Saga came on at midnight and played until 1:35AM and clearly cut the show short of original plans. I stood front center and could read the setlist taped to the stage in front of Michael's microphone. The following is the list of songs on the list:

Trust
That's as Far as I'll Go
Wind Him Up
You're Not Alone (Alone spelled Hotel)
The One
I'm OK - Scratched before the show started
Conversation
Can't You See Me Now
10,000 Days - Scratched before the show started
Scratching the Surface - Scratched before the show started
See Them Smile
Runaway
Keep It Reel
Careful Where You Step
Flyer
Don't Be Late

Encore;
Humble Stance
On The Loose
No Stranger - Not played

I don't know if the show sold out but it was crowded. Interesting observation; Before Saga started the local radio station involved had a door price give away and the two winners were from Hollywood, California and Huntsville, Alabama. So I wasn't the only one to travel a good distance.

During the show I couldn't help but think about the band after Michael. He is such a good front man and has so much stage presence that it is going to be difficult to replace him. I am sure they can find somebody to play the instrumental parts but his voice is unique as well as personality. It will be interesting to see what happens.

My other thought was why they don't have the following in North America that they do elsewhere? I see a lot of concerts and, being 53, I see a lot of the older groups and Saga is as good as any. The only other groups I can think of that have been around this long and still appear and sound fresh and not lacking due to their "maturity" is Rush (something in the water?) and U2.

The only negative of the night, well, other than losing four songs, was the sound. The venue was horrible accoustically. Floors were bare concrete and wood. The walls bare concrete. The ceiling was corrugated metal. Not where you want to hear someone like Saga. In addition the sound mix was fair and actually horrible at times. And the volume was way too loud. I never wear ear plugs but wish I had last night.

I feel lucky to have finally experienced a live Saga concert and the travel was well worth it.

Fred
Zuletzt geändert von fhemmer209 am Fr Okt 05, 2007 9:44 pm, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
fhemmer209

Beitragvon Tillmann » Fr Okt 05, 2007 3:43 pm

I'm really happy that everything went so great for you! :hase:

Great to hear about Saga in the USA... Would like they would tour is every year! :P

Thanx fhemmer209

;)
Tillmann

Beitragvon Susi » Fr Okt 05, 2007 3:45 pm

HI Fred,

thanks for the review!!!
šтуℓє « ιš, ωнαт уσυ [¢яєαтє]. ησт, ωнαт уσυ [¢σρу]
Susi

Beitragvon Social Orphan » Fr Okt 05, 2007 7:42 pm

Set List looks just ok. Seems like many of the songs they always perform. What I mean is other than the hits......the newer songs are the same ones in setlists for a while. For example You Were Right plays on this site but never appears in a setlist...whereas Runaway & Keep It Reel always appear in setlists Other than Conversations and I think the one new song it seems very similar to past concerts. I guess I know now what to expect on Saturday.....which is good. But I am just happy to see Saga do anything....I will enjoy the show immensely.
Social Orphan

Beitragvon Tillmann » Fr Okt 05, 2007 7:52 pm

What do you mean with "Scratched before the show started"? :pirat:
Tillmann

Beitragvon fhemmer209 » Fr Okt 05, 2007 9:52 pm

Tillmann hat geschrieben:What do you mean with "Scratched before the show started"? :pirat:

When the setlist was first put down on the stage it included those songs. Then, shortly before they came on, a stage hand went around and deleted them by marking through them with a pen. That was the case for the three but No Stranger was still on it and they just didn't play it. It was listed as "Loose/No Stranger."

Maybe there was a local ordinance or other requirement that required they be done by a certain time. It will be interesting to see what Social Orphan posts about tomorrow night's show.
fhemmer209

Beitragvon fhemmer209 » Fr Okt 05, 2007 9:56 pm

Tillmann hat geschrieben:I'm really happy that everything went so great for you!

Thanks, between the Puerto Rico and Oakville cancellations and my flight delays yesterday I was wondering if it just wasn't meant for me to see them. But it all worked out in the end and I am thankful. Hope you get to enjoy them too.

Fred
fhemmer209

Beitragvon Social Orphan » Fr Okt 05, 2007 10:17 pm

Scratching the Surface was scartched? LOL.
Social Orphan

Beitragvon dmeehan » Sa Okt 06, 2007 8:52 am

I was the "Stage hand" that "scratched" the songs at the last minutes... Goddo (also a fairly big Canadian band in the early days,, but never close to saga's status) ran WAY over time,, and there was a noise ordinance in effect.. So Saga had no choice but to cut 3 songs from the set.. You will hear them Sat night at Healeys!!

See you all there!!

oh ya!! hahaha,, buy a shirt from my wife at the merch booth!!
Zuletzt geändert von dmeehan am Mo Okt 08, 2007 12:31 am, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
dmeehan
Orga + Mod
Orga + Mod

Beitragvon BLB1 » Sa Okt 06, 2007 4:23 pm

Looks like I won't get to see and hear Brian yet again :(
I hope that he has a speedy recovery, thanks to Steve for being able to step in again.

the countdown has begun!
BLB1

Beitragvon Susi » Sa Okt 06, 2007 4:27 pm

On Oct 5th, Brian was taken to the hospital with a serious illness. He is recovering and doing fine. Our thoughts are with him, and we all wish him a very speedy recovery. At this time, he is not well enough to play drums.
Steve Negus will be filling in for the last two Canadian dates.
šтуℓє « ιš, ωнαт уσυ [¢яєαтє]. ησт, ωнαт уσυ [¢σρу]
Susi

Zurück zu Tour 2007