Toronto Show

Toronto Show

Beitragvon Social Orphan » Mo Okt 08, 2007 8:45 pm

Let me be the first to comment omn the Toronto Show. A revised setlist from the one posted for Barrie. I assume some of this had to do with Steve filling in for Brian. No songs from 10,000 Days. I could tell you the songs but probably not the order below.

The concert was fantastic. I don't know if the guys and Michael will be like this for every show. I have never seen them more into a show than this one. Maybe because this was Michael's last show in the town that started it all.

I made the trip from Detroit to see Saga. Actually at one part during the show Michael asked any American's in the audience and when I indicated I was Michael stuck out his hand thanked me for coming...yes that was me the tall american in the green shirt. I really appreciated it, but Michael you are the one who I owe things too.....and of course the other Saga guys. All 5 of you. Thanks.

But the show, like I said the guys were all really into it. it was Michael being showcased by others in the band and than Michael doing the same for Steve. I have to say I got emotional at times. I thought to myself wow, this will probably be the last time I will here Wind Him Up live. then when the Flyer was played i remember how I reacted the first time I ever heard that song. Finally during On the Loose it all caught me...I was like this is the last song I will ever see live again.

Now, I don't want to say i am done with Saga. Hell no, I will be there for ian, Jim and Jim also. It is just I honestly believed this was the last time I will ever see them live. I don't own an international passport....I doubt I will get one...not an international traveler and we know Saga will not play the states again. But to the guys continuing on the band. I will be there purchasing any music you put out as always.

Only downer was the drunk guy behind me that kept yelling embarassing stuff all night. Like insisting Michael, tell a jokes.

Setlist
Trust
That's as Far as I'll Go
Wind Him Up
You're Not Alone
The One
Conversations
Scratching the Surface
The Flyer
The Perfectionist
Runaway
See Them Smile
Compromise
Careful Where You Step
Don't Be Late

Encore;
Humble Stance
On The Loose

After the show, waited around for a while. Steve came out and talked and signed. he was also selling his solo cd. Which I haven't listened to the whole thing but it is really good. they also sold some 10,000 Days Canadian Tour Shirts specifically for the three shows.

The concert was outstanding and i recommend everyone make a trip to see them if they can. Thanks to BLB1 for meeting up and the ride back to the hotel. Great time I had...thank you Saga.
Zuletzt geändert von Social Orphan am Di Okt 09, 2007 2:29 am, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Social Orphan

Beitragvon Tillmann » Mo Okt 08, 2007 9:38 pm

Thanx for your review :hase:

But, what does that mean: You're Not Alone (Alone spelled Hotel)
?????

;)
Tillmann

Beitragvon tooldieyguy » Mo Okt 08, 2007 9:38 pm

Wow what can i say.
Ive seen them 8 times and every time they blow me away.
Iwas actually standing beside some saga fans that hadent heard from them or ever seen them, and they were a little bit worried how they were going to sound after all these years, i had told them not to worry that they will be blown away by them. And they were.
As for the show itsself, i thought it was pretty cool when Michael almost got teary eyed at the end when he was saying goodbye. It made me choke up too.
I want to wish him the best in all his future endevours and same goes for me with the band, I fully support them and anything they do in the future.
And a speedy recovery to Brian
Its time to go!!!
tooldieyguy

Beitragvon fhemmer209 » Di Okt 09, 2007 3:54 am

Tillmann hat geschrieben:Thanx for your review :hase:

But, what does that mean: You're Not Alone (Alone spelled Hotel)
?????

;)

I posted that for the Barrie show. That was the way it was written on the sheet taped to the stage for Michael to see. I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me so I asked the guy next to me and he too said it was Hotel.

Fred
fhemmer209

Beitragvon zimmcull » Mi Okt 10, 2007 5:20 am

Hi. I'm hoping that Dean or someone else who deals with shirts will see this. I wanted to buy one of those great 30th anniversary t-shirts at the end of the Toronto show but there were no medium or large shirts left. Any chance that I could order one somehow?

By the way, I can't resist slamming the people who couldn't even be bothered to clap when the rest of us were trying to get the band to come back for an encore. Another slam for the group of 4 people sitting in front of me who talked and took photos of each other and repeatedly went outside to smoke then left early. Why do these people even bother to go to shows?
zimmcull

Beitragvon tooldieyguy » Do Okt 11, 2007 2:36 am

Any word from the brantford show....................... anybody OUT there??
Its time to go!!!
tooldieyguy

Beitragvon I'm Late » Do Okt 11, 2007 4:55 pm

please see Brantford thread :D
The Truth has no words!
I'm Late

Beitragvon S.A.L. » Mi Okt 24, 2007 9:22 am

Hello fellow fans...:)

I am new in these parts and thought I would share my review on the past Toronto show. I apologize for the delay... it was a crazy couple of weeks for me and my writing skills are a bit rusty...:)

It is not written in "proper english" so to speak... but this is my style. it is a bit long winded and sentimental... but it is more of a page out of my memoirs than an actual " show review" I suppose.

I did post this last week on "Saga - Forum.de" as I was invited by mega fan "Siggi".. and this is a slightly tweaked version of that submission posted there. ( so members to that forum may have already read it )

Be well and safe journey's..... Sal

Canadian SAGA Farewell Tour

Jeff Healey's Roadhouse

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Oct. 6th 2007

I finally got around to setting up my "myspace" page this past week and I was searching out some of my favorite artist's and the band SAGA (which was a childhood favorite of mine) was at the top of the list. I

I have enjoyed following them from afar over the years... one of the few bands I like that continually put out solid music that is worth listening to on a regular basis.

What I discovered when I checked out their site really excited me; I couldn't believe my eyes… "SAGA 30th Anniversary Tour" along with Michael Sadler's final farewell with the band.

My first thought was… where the hell did those 30 years go? I then noticed that they are playing locally this week with only 3 shows in Canada.

I had already missed the first one in Barrie, but the timing was perfect to catch them in Toronto and it would be nice to see them again live... since over the years I've missed so many other chances.

A couple of hours later that night I received a bulletin from Steve Negus's "Myspace" page who I had also added as a friend that same evening.

The bulletin was an announcement that "Brian Doerner" was ill and that Steve would be filling in for the final 2 shows in Canada.

It would appear that the stars had aligned and the universe was presenting me with a unique opportunity… needless to say that sealed the deal for me… right then and there I pulled the trigger and ordered my ticket for the Toronto gig.

I had missed his return last fall with the band, but I wasn't going to make the same mistake twice.

SAGA's layered music is like a fine wine… its deep complex flavors get better with time and with each listening… you get more out of it...creating a new experience touching one's soul.

I have since learned that the same can be said of their "live" performances.

The last time I saw them "live" was back in 1984 at "Maple Leaf Gardens" for the "Heads Or Tales" tour.

It was a historic large venue in Toronto and that tour included a massive light show with the towering wall of lighted cubes which was quite the amazing concert experience for this young man of 17 years.

In the 23 years since that show they really haven't missed a note, and on this fateful night the band was enjoying themselves like a bunch of old friends jamming out at someone's farewell party.

I savored the moment and was proud to be a part of a little piece of Toronto rock history… the farewell performance of Michael Sadler.

Jeff Healey is a legendary local blues guitarist and his new "Jeff Healey's Road House" is an intimate venue, a perfect setting for a band to just rock out in.

There was a small stage set with basic lighting and minimal instruments which provided for a fresh striped down styled performance.

No big sound production, gimmicks or distractions… just raw real rock music performed with pure passion… the way live rock was meant to be.

The crowd was filled with true SAGA fans, mostly middle aged men recapturing a piece of their glorious youth (myself included) who faithfully bobbed their heads and satisfyingly sang along at all the right parts, which made Michael grin like a proud parent…J

It was kind of a surreal evening for me… my childhood rock heroes, playing live 5 feet in front of me… all my favorite tunes that have been like old friends to me over the many long years.

I was behind the standing crowd (which was only about 7-8 people deep) dancing around to Jim's fiddly bass bits… playing my air guitar along with Ian…pounding my imaginary drums in synch with Steve,and pumping my fist in the air singing loudly in tune throughout the night with Michael.

Really getting into the show... more so than any other of the 70 plus various concerts that I've been to over the years. So much so that my voice was hoarse and sore the next day... a first for me...lol

Michael started the show by thanking Steve for filling in for the ill "Brian Doerner" he noted it was suspicious timing… but he did not share more than "Brian" was ill.

Not to make light of "Brian's " place in the band or serious health condition, but it did seem fitting (at least to me) for Steve to behind the skins for Michael's farewell in their hometown of Toronto.

Throughout the night Sadler would sneak back to the drums and playfully tease Negus who was playing along with a huge smile… never once missing a beat. (pun intended!)

Michael taunted the audience that it was common knowledge that fans in Europe have a reputation for being a more robust crowd by singing along in all the right parts.

Canadians are known for their shy quiet ways, but we readily took up the challenge and we really did try to live up to those high standards.

Time after time... we hit the mark on queue and I hope we made Michael and the boys ponder… "hey some fans in Canada really do get into the show, and perhaps deserve our time and energy."

I only wish there was more of us to fill the joint with harmony for them... as I have witnessed on the various SAGA Live" DVD's recorded in Europe.

The fun with the crowd was at it's highest during "Your Not Alone", where Michael motioned with his hands to quiet our chants to the chorus… lowered us down to that of a soft seductive whisper… then raising them up higher.. bringing our singing along with each passing chorus like a crafty conductor of his own faithful choir… until we belted out loudly with all that we had…

"You're Not… Your Not… Your Not Aaaaloooone!!!!!...

Leading the band into the frenzied finale of that awesome song.

Sadler's vocals where smooth, rich and full bodied… it didn't show that it was his 30th year of singing operatic styled songs…. It sounded as beautiful and poetic as it did 30 years ago in my opinion.

His voice really warmed up and came out when they played "Your Not Alone" which set the stage for the many classics to follow.

Darryl did a very personal and soulful solo rendition of "Scratching The Surface" with just himself on the keyboards while the band took a well deserved quick break.

Though I love the fast studio version... this was a new way for me to appreciate the deep soul searching lyrics of that song.

Steve got to strut his masterful stuff with a powerful and fun drum solo intro to "The Flyer" that rocked the house down.

My chest was pounding to his almighty bass drum… he teased the fans with his sharp crisp work on the symbols ... stopping for several seconds… popping up and looking playfully out to the crowd as we hollered filling each silent pause… like a kid in a candy store he smiled back out at us...... we all loved it!

And what about the brothers Crichton you may ask?

Well they do what they do best…traditionally framing Michael at each end of the tiny stage.

Jim steadily plucked away on his rhythmic bass and moog… providing the funky glue for the layered sound.

All the while Ian wailed away on his trusty axe… with his trademark style…yeah it was raw & loud… but I have no complaint's… he blew us all away!

The crowd got their turn as well... singing along with the fan favorites... "The Flyer", "Don't Be Late" and the infamous "SAGA live" anthem... "You're Not Alone".

When Michael commented how impressed he was with our sing along abilities... someone shouted out from the crowd... "We're all rock stars!" Michael chucked and said... "Yes tonight we all are.. but only we (SAGA) are getting paid"…lol

Even though I assume these are really geared to be warm up shows and fine tuning for the larger tour in Europe… I felt as if everyone really gave it all they had on stage.

Michael along with everyone in the band was sweating bullets, but that didn't hinder them from joking around with the crowd and each other.

As a long time fan... it was worth going to see them "live" in this fashion as it was not some soulless mega stadium style show… but a real personal interactive show.

The room really felt alive with energy and warm sentimental feelings...which was supplied by passionate powerful music… and a appreciative audience.

It was a beautiful feeling for me… one I have seldom experienced at a "live" show.

At the end of the final song... the crowd keep clapping and hollering for a good 2-3 minutes, until they reappeared and retook the stage.

Michael strapped on Jim's trusty bass guitar and asked us to guess the next song. "This should be an easy one to guess... as there are no fiddly bass bits" he joked. "Humble Stance" came from the side of the stage and he pointed and said... "That's it!"

The band finished the evening with a bang and a hometown classic "On The Loose" which was a fitting final song for Sadler to showcase his and the bands hard rock abilities, as it also is one of the key songs that made them superstars here in Toronto and North America all those years ago.

Selfishly for us (old school) fans, it was a treat to hear a night filled mainly of the classics that attracted us first to this talented bunch…. Oh what a night indeed!

Afterwards Michael and Steve took their bows center stage and said their goodnight for a final time in Toronto…leaving the room feeling aglow with a warm sentimental buzz.

Steve came out and took some pictures and signed some stuff for several fans, but it was a long day for me and I didn't feel up to waiting, or bothering him after his performance, so I just picked up a tour shirt along with a copy of his pet project "Dare To Dream" and made the trek home.

As I drove home, I realized that I was apart of a little piece of Toronto rock history, and I how fortunate it was that I had experienced at least one of their final shows in Canada.

I honestly was impressed how good they sounded "live"; which is a testament to their steady release of new material and relentless touring over the years has kept them sharp and tight.

Remarkably… one could not tell in their performance the fact that there was a fill in from Steve with only 1 days notice.

Hats of to the band as they had to adjust their set list (I'm assuming) and especially kudos for Steve… who seamlessly stepped in with only 24 hours notice (if that).

He will forever be the foundation of SAGA's trademark pounding sound in my books… the quintessential "Lord Of The Drums" !

It just goes to show that SAGA is a band that has never lost their combined talents to play a memorable passionate "live" gig together… one of any size nor under any circumstance… now that's the stuff true rock & roll legends are made of.

The only disappointment of the night was that my camera battery died just as they took the stage and I didn't get any really good photos of them.

Perhaps it was for the best… for it allowed me to be fully immersed in the moment… rock' in and singing along… as if I was part of the show… and in a way I was… after all that is what a real "SAGA live" experience is all about… just like they are in Europe.

I caught SAGA "Farewell Fever" that special night… and the only known cure for this affectionate affliction is to see them again… therefore I made my plans and I did..:)

Be well old friends & "Keep on Rockin"
Zuletzt geändert von S.A.L. am Fr Okt 26, 2007 3:36 am, insgesamt 3-mal geändert.
S.A.L. - Saga At Large
S.A.L.

Beitragvon I'm Late » Mi Okt 24, 2007 1:26 pm

Bravo S.A.L.,

Very well written! My same sentiments exactly! I believe most of us here feel the same. This is the character of a TRUE SAGA fan! I made the Brantford show at the last minute.( unemployed & a 14 hour round trip within 24hours). Sparse crowd, but THE BAND played like they always do, totally energized & highly spirited! SAGA is nothing less of pure class!

They will always have a special place in my heart & is a part of my soul!

........... Now ...........can I please have tissue? :(
The Truth has no words!
I'm Late

Beitragvon jeeep » Mi Okt 24, 2007 6:59 pm

Thanks SAL, I'm really jealous of all the people that saw (and will be able to see Saga) for the final tour with Michael !! Lucky guys !

Jeeep
Ottawa
jeeep

Zurück zu Tour 2007