Reflections

Reflections

Beitragvon sagalady » So Apr 19, 2009 8:01 pm

So, it would probably have been quicker for me to drive home instead of flying. But at least I got home in the end, at 3 am, so tired I couldn't see straight and greated by the white fluffy dog who was happy to see me. I've managed to find an astma inhaler which is making me a little shaky and weird so excuse me in advance for illegible sentences etc. I'm not getting much air.

Anyway - I had the privilege of being present and assisting at the auditions in march last year and working with the band during the rehearsals and first show ever that Rob Moratti took to a stage with Saga. To me, seeing Saga with a new singer isn't so new anymore. I have had a year more than everyone else to get used to his voice. It didn't take long during the rehearsals before I stopped reacting to the difference. Because the voices are different, thank god! But, out of all the bands I have worked with, these guys are some of the nicest there are and they deserve every positive reaction from the crowds in Europe.

And do they ever get them!

Sitting on the balcony above Dean's guitarland, watching the crowd go NUTS when the band took to the stage was .... I don't know how to describe that feeling. Opening with The Human Condition (a good move) and launching in to The Flyer showing off Rob with a classic track. As the last note of The Flyer faded out, the audience screaming, everything was a blur to me. About 10 years ago I stopped crying at Saga shows. April 16, 2009 I started again. It certainly was emotional in a very positive way.

My camera decided to give me the finger and pack it in. Not a single usable picture from the first night. Luckily, Menno von Brucken Fock from IO Pages was there and was kind enough to let me have every single picture off his CF card. I have posted a few on www.saga-sweden.com More to come.

Friday was even better. This time it was impossible to move through the crowd. Musichall was sold out. It was hot, cold beer flowing and familiar faces in the crowd. Faces that had been there the day before. Faces who now were smiling and eager for the band to go on stage. Faces who now were convinced that Saga with Rob Moratti as the front man is the way to go.

And again, the crowd goes nuts when they enter the stage. This time Rob is feeling a little more relaxed. A little more confident. It shows. He's exploring more. Daring a little more. Give him a few shows and he will own the stage. The rest of the band have all been sleeping well and they all seem to have picked up on the fact that Rob is being welcomed to the Saga family in a major way. They are happy, smiling more.

My camera decided to work again, only to go on vacation as soon as Ian and Jim took up the pose side-by-side behind Rob during Step Inside. A perfect image but alas, not captured on to the card. I gave up, packed it up and decided to enjoy the show instead.

Happy people returning to the hotel after the show. Tired but happy.

I saw them off in the morning, waving bye-bye to the bus as they left Worpswede to continue onwards. A few hours later, myself, Roxy13 and people from Saga-Norway headed off to Hamburg Airport. A trip that took many hours more than it should have. We just made our check-in time. All of us on the same flight to Copenhagen where we split up to make connections to our homes. Out of all of us I believe I had the shortest distance back but ofcourse was the last one to get in bed. As said earlier, at 3 am, I parked outside my house only to realize that driving back would have been quicker. I had been travelling since 10.30 in the morning.

One thing is for certain: I will be coming out to see more shows.

I miss the guys in a major way.
sagalady

Beitragvon Harmonia » Mo Apr 20, 2009 12:08 am

Thankyou Saga Lady :roll:
You look, good to Me.
Harmonia

Beitragvon Timmer » Mo Apr 20, 2009 12:33 am

How lucky you are too have been there from the beginning with Rob auditioning and joining the band :D. You, myself and Harmonia are also lucky to have seen Rob's first show with Saga and we can all cherish that.
I have been listening to THC on my motorcycle headset. There is so much going on in the music that you don't hear on a regular stereo. Can't say enough about Jim, Ian and Daryl's playing. The range of Robs voice. Brian punching up the beat at the perfect time. I love the swing beat feel of You Look Good To Me.
Rest up for the next round and Kudos to you and Roxy13 on the new site, Awesome even if I can't read any of it.
Timmer

Beitragvon sagalady » Mo Apr 20, 2009 8:48 am

Thanks, Timmer. Yes, we were there and we saw it all go down.

I totally agree with you on listening to the new album. My cottage is small and my soundsystem in it just slightly over dimensioned for the building. Although it sounds great there, I was completely blown away when I listened to the CD on the plane through my headphones, on the ipod with not the best bitrate mp3. It should have been worse, but bang me backwards (I've said that a lot listening to the new CD). WOW! That is how good it is mixed and produced.

Brian is an awesome drummer and I love his drumming on the album. Another friend of mine can't stop listening to crown of thorns thanks to Brian's drumming. Chris is doing a great job on the tour, playing the new songs. He is not putting Brian to shame at all. Following his lead with twists of his own.
sagalady

Beitragvon mouseinamaze » Mo Apr 20, 2009 5:39 pm

thank you sagalady for sharing your experiences with the band during the transition stages and your concert experience.
It sounds like it was a great time and it's good Saga has moved you to cry again. :)
mouseinamaze

Zurück zu Tour 2009