If Saga Seriously wants to play in the USA......

Beitragvon Tillmann » Do Jun 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Right Sagalady ;)

But we are not as strong as a band wich has sold 8 million records ;) We are not backstage with the tourmanager of Queensryche... They'll probably are ;)
Tillmann

Beitragvon sagalady » Do Jun 04, 2009 9:05 pm

Tillmann hat geschrieben:Right Sagalady ;)

But we are not as strong as a band wich has sold 8 million records ;) We are not backstage with the tourmanager of Queensryche... They'll probably are ;)

The tourmanager has nothing to do with it. The manager might. The promoter of the show does.

These two shows they will do in Sofia and Bucharest are GREAT. Saga will be able to stand in front of a big crowd (and I could give my right arm to stand there in a dark corner and watch the audience feel the way I do). This becuase this particular promoter believes in the band. It's not Queensryche or Limp Bizkit who made that decission. The promoter did.

Many of us fans think that the band is responsible for everything. That is not true. At the end of the day it is us, the fans, who call the shots. WE CAN make a difference by making ourselves heard. WE CAN get the band played on radio buy repeatedly request the songs. WE CAN get the band to festivals by sending in request lists to the promoters, talk about the band on the festival forums. WE CAN get the album in to the local shops by asking for them and buying them (and not download off of torrent sites etc).

You completely underestimate the power of the fans.

;)
sagalady

Beitragvon SAGA-NORWAY » Do Jun 04, 2009 9:52 pm

You are sooo right Sagalady...

So to all of you, your voice matters....
keep on promoting SAGA, to your friends, on the net and request SAGA on radiostations...

I did 2 interviews on radio, promoting SAGA, and I belive it helps... (don't stop beliving)
Everything helps :-)

And the most importan... BUY THEIR ALBUMS.....

:-)
Zuletzt geändert von SAGA-NORWAY am Fr Jun 05, 2009 1:34 pm, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
SAGA-NORWAY

Beitragvon Tillmann » Do Jun 04, 2009 11:20 pm

I feel able to say that I do alot for SAGA, esspecially on the net and at my work (Media Markt)... For every tour and album I start threads in forums of "Iron Maiden", "Metal Hammer" and so on... Doesn't matter where, I keep the people informed what our band is doin right now and in future... It helped a bit, a few people more know SAGA (the name)... But the rest... We all can help a bit, but we can't tpuch the 200.000 people that forgot SAGA since 1985... Radio, TV, big music magazines and big festivals can do that... The internet is a fantastic way and chance for SAGA, YouTube, MySpace, Facebook and all those pages with millions of users... Thats great...

I know, I always talk about this festival shit, but I think it works... I mean, maybe a few Limp fans like the SAGA sound, next day they're watching something on YouTube and monday they'll walk in their local record shop! Thats a result... And thats what a festival can do... Sweden Rock for example... So many different bands, so many different fans... And they all see the same different bands, some will like the other bands, some won't...

Journey are headlining the Bang Your Head, wich includes bands like W.A.S.P. (Heavy Metal), Exodus (Thrash metal) , Sodom (Thrash Metal), Voivod(Industrial Metal), Sacred Reich and so on... And I know that a lot of those really hard, cool heavy metal guys will raise theier hands in the air and they'll scream "Wheeeel In The Skyyyyyyyyy keeps on tuuuurning..." Hey, that must be amazing for a Melodic Rock band!

Now imagine a few bad Black Metaller and hard guys screaming:" Tonight We're ON THE LOOSE!" WOW!

Well... This topic always makes me sad, because SAGA are so underrated and unknown... They deserve everything but that, they deserve the O2 World with a huge stage, the best light and sound and 50.000 people screaming SAGA SAGA SAGA SAGA...

Whatever... Good Night :hut:
Tillmann

Beitragvon sagalady » Fr Jun 05, 2009 1:32 pm

Tillman :1: :1:

If all Saga fans did what you and Steinar have done more radiostations, more promoters and more people would pay attention.
sagalady

Beitragvon Tillmann » Fr Jun 05, 2009 1:48 pm

IF ;)
Tillmann

Beitragvon Social Orphan » Fr Jun 05, 2009 4:30 pm

This Fans thing...promoting the band for festivals...I don't believe in it. First off, I am one guy. I am one guy who lives in Detroit. It is not my job to seek out festivals in areas such as Minnesota or Iowa.

I don't know the festival organizers I don't know radio guys....even if I did Saga would be a tough sell on most of these radio formats,...maybe after me and a dozen of my friends all requesting Saga to a radio station I might hear On The Loose.

WHat I am saying is I don't know the radio, concert or music business. I am one guy who buys the cds and plays them for my friends. Manager, Promoters, and band Members do know the business and they do make their livings doing it. They all know more about things than I.

So to say, it's up to me to fish the entire US for possible shows is crazy. Personally I think it is excuse making. I am sure part of the problem is Saga needs to network better.

There is no reason Honeymoon Suite can be playing these big shows and not Saga. That is no slight to Honeymoon Suite who I also love. Honeymoon Suite has also not played the US in years....they are now.

If Saga starts playing some of these shows and gets out there in front of the US citizens maybe their music might pop up on the radio.

You know the last time Saga played the US (not counting the BB King thing a couple years ago)????? 1985. I am sorry that is not the fault of their fans and that is part of the reasopn people hear are forgetting about them. I know also that it is more complicated that that, but it is not one person from Detroit's job to bring back Saga.

Hey but if Saga wants to hire me I will learn the music business and would gladly help them. I'd love to help Saga and not have to charge them, but learning the music business is a lot more time consuming then I have.
Social Orphan

Beitragvon Tillmann » Fr Jun 05, 2009 5:44 pm

100% agreed! ;)
Tillmann

Beitragvon sagalady » Fr Jun 05, 2009 5:48 pm

You don't get it.

It isn't a fans job to talk to a promoter. But if a fan doesn't speak about the bands they like, who will know they still exist?

(I'm generalizing here and not talking about Saga in particular.) The whole issue is a HUGE catch 22.

A record company will spend x-dollars to market a cd. They work out how many cd-s they expect to sell and will market accordingly, based on previous sales numbers, that is. So if the previous CD sold 10k copies they'd expect to sell 10k copies of the new and spend just enough dollars to market that.

Record companies these days want to spend as little as they possibly can, because they are aware of that 10k copies sold, more than likely mean 100k copies illegally downloaded. Those 100k copies = revenue lost for recordcompany AND band. Money that cold be used to spend on lavish touring productions, buying in on a tour as support act (you pay to play when you are the support), spend a few weeks in a van every 3 months or so, touring and playing.

Now, most bands who are not in the 6-figure + copies sold category can't afford spending that kind of money, playing places where people may or may not turn up.

Basically, with the illegal download, we fans have pretty much killed the chances of seeing <insert> play.

What you/me can do is very very simple. We can simply go our local festival website and get engaged in the forum for the festival. Post something like "oh, I wish the promoter would book <insert>. Their new album is just great! I can't stop playing it." Some other guy on that same forum might also be a fan and respond, other people reading might be tickled in to checking out the band. Once the ball starts rolling and is kept rolling until it gains its own momentum things can change very quickly.

Do you know how Roxette broke in the US? An exchange student brought a vinyl back to college, played it at the college radio. Another station DJ heard it, liked it, asked for a copy and played it, and then the next station, and the next and... They were making copies of the album before it was released and playing it on stations. Suddenly the label picked up on it and the rest is history.

As I said before - never underestimate the power of the fans. We've managed to pretty much killed the music industry as we knew it. If we have that kind of power we can use that to bring it back to what it was. There are fans everywhere, even in radio stations and promoters offices but as it is business (i.e. will it make them money) first and music later, us fans NEED to make our voices heard. It's still not the band who decides where they want to play. Not even the manager. The promoter will book a band IF there is a big enough fanbase in the promoter area to sell tickets, at least break even, preferably make a profit on the gig. So if the promoter doesn't know us fans aour out there, the likelyhodd of the band getting booked is next to nil.

So all you US fans out there reading this, make yourself known at the festival websites in your area and you might get lucky.

I've put my vote in for Saga at Sweden Rock next year, and for another festival around here.

Adrian C an Wilkie keep nagging on about Saga touring UK. So go to The Robin's website and The Fleece and post. There could be more Saga fans out there.
sagalady

Beitragvon Social Orphan » Sa Jun 06, 2009 5:57 am

sagalady hat geschrieben:You don't get it.

It isn't a fans job to talk to a promoter. But if a fan doesn't speak about the bands they like, who will know they still exist?

(I'm generalizing here and not talking about Saga in particular.) The whole issue is a HUGE catch 22.

A record company will spend x-dollars to market a cd. They work out how many cd-s they expect to sell and will market accordingly, based on previous sales numbers, that is. So if the previous CD sold 10k copies they'd expect to sell 10k copies of the new and spend just enough dollars to market that.

Record companies these days want to spend as little as they possibly can, because they are aware of that 10k copies sold, more than likely mean 100k copies illegally downloaded. Those 100k copies = revenue lost for recordcompany AND band. Money that cold be used to spend on lavish touring productions, buying in on a tour as support act (you pay to play when you are the support), spend a few weeks in a van every 3 months or so, touring and playing.

Now, most bands who are not in the 6-figure + copies sold category can't afford spending that kind of money, playing places where people may or may not turn up.

Basically, with the illegal download, we fans have pretty much killed the chances of seeing <insert> play.

What you/me can do is very very simple. We can simply go our local festival website and get engaged in the forum for the festival. Post something like "oh, I wish the promoter would book <insert>. Their new album is just great! I can't stop playing it." Some other guy on that same forum might also be a fan and respond, other people reading might be tickled in to checking out the band. Once the ball starts rolling and is kept rolling until it gains its own momentum things can change very quickly.

Do you know how Roxette broke in the US? An exchange student brought a vinyl back to college, played it at the college radio. Another station DJ heard it, liked it, asked for a copy and played it, and then the next station, and the next and... They were making copies of the album before it was released and playing it on stations. Suddenly the label picked up on it and the rest is history.

As I said before - never underestimate the power of the fans. We've managed to pretty much killed the music industry as we knew it. If we have that kind of power we can use that to bring it back to what it was. There are fans everywhere, even in radio stations and promoters offices but as it is business (i.e. will it make them money) first and music later, us fans NEED to make our voices heard. It's still not the band who decides where they want to play. Not even the manager. The promoter will book a band IF there is a big enough fanbase in the promoter area to sell tickets, at least break even, preferably make a profit on the gig. So if the promoter doesn't know us fans aour out there, the likelyhodd of the band getting booked is next to nil.

So all you US fans out there reading this, make yourself known at the festival websites in your area and you might get lucky.

I've put my vote in for Saga at Sweden Rock next year, and for another festival around here.

Adrian C an Wilkie keep nagging on about Saga touring UK. So go to The Robin's website and The Fleece and post. There could be more Saga fans out there.

Saga lady, we disagree from time to time...this is one of those times. I get it 100%. One guy from Detroit isn't going to force a Saga concert in Iowa. It's Saga themselves that are going to get it going. Look I will mention Honeymoon Suite again. THEY ARE NOT MORE POPULAR THAN SAGA. Again, I like Honeymoon Suite too. But if Honeymoon Suite can get on a festival Saga can. I can not disagree with you more. Theire manager (not pointing fingers) or other people closer to the band have a better shot of getting Saga on a festival than me. As a matter of fact, I can stand a top the GM Headquarterss here in Detroit and threaten to jump off until Saga comes here...it is Saga who would decide to come here. Saga's future is in their own hands. And I get it, it's not that easy but to hear this blah blah blah that I can make Saga come to Iowa...it's a bunch of BS. If Saga wants to come here they are the ones that gotta make it happen. And again, it may not be that easy but Saga is WAY more in control of Saga than I am. My outlook, Honeymoon Suite did it...Helix did it.....Kix did it....go up and down that list....SAGA CAN DO IT! Come on Freakin KIX did it! ARMORED SAINT DID IT FOR PETE SAKE! ARMORED SAINT!!!!!!!
Social Orphan

Beitragvon sagalady » Sa Jun 06, 2009 11:57 am

Social Orphan hat geschrieben:
Saga lady, we disagree from time to time...this is one of those times. I get it 100%. One guy from Detroit isn't going to force a Saga concert in Iowa. It's Saga themselves that are going to get it going. Look I will mention Honeymoon Suite again. THEY ARE NOT MORE POPULAR THAN SAGA. Again, I like Honeymoon Suite too. But if Honeymoon Suite can get on a festival Saga can. I can not disagree with you more. Theire manager (not pointing fingers) or other people closer to the band have a better shot of getting Saga on a festival than me. As a matter of fact, I can stand a top the GM Headquarterss here in Detroit and threaten to jump off until Saga comes here...it is Saga who would decide to come here. Saga's future is in their own hands. And I get it, it's not that easy but to hear this blah blah blah that I can make Saga come to Iowa...it's a bunch of BS. If Saga wants to come here they are the ones that gotta make it happen. And again, it may not be that easy but Saga is WAY more in control of Saga than I am. My outlook, Honeymoon Suite did it...Helix did it.....Kix did it....go up and down that list....SAGA CAN DO IT! Come on Freakin KIX did it! ARMORED SAINT DID IT FOR PETE SAKE! ARMORED SAINT!!!!!!!

And none of those bands you mentioned are making a mark out here in Europe, touring, gigging, playing the clubs or the festivals. I could sit here in Europe, go to either one of their websites and wail on their forums, pointing fingers, blaming the bands for the fact that they donät play out here.

Thing is, if they don't have a vocal fan base out here, they don't sell albums enough to warrant a promoter to book them, they will not play Europe. It's the same scenario, only in reverse. It's Europe and not US.

So the bands you mention have a better market in US than in Europe. Good for them. Saga, apparently, has a better market in Europe than in US. This message board here has done a heck of a lot to keep that going. There has been years in between touring over here too. There are countries in Europe Saga don't go to because the promoters can't get people through the doors. People = fans.

I've lost count on how many people who have come up to me saying "Saga is still around?" just for wearing a new T-shirt, or simply talking bout going to Germany to see them. I do my bit of reminding people of Saga's existence and slowly they gain old and new fans.

Anyway - you say you get it but I'm not sure.

One guy in Detroit isn't going to get the band a gig in Detroit. But one guy in Detroit can get another 10 guys in Detroit talking about Saga. Each of those in their turn gets another 10 guys talking about Saga. Now it's 100 yapping on. Each of those gets another 10 going, you now have 1000, enough to fill a club.1000 ticket buyers is dollars in the eyes of the promoters.

THAT is what one guy can do.

Armored Saint.. Haven't heard that band name in ages. I wonder if that could be because none of their European fans are yapping about them on the forums out here?
sagalady

Beitragvon sagalady » Sa Jun 06, 2009 1:25 pm

Here's a bit of help to the US/Canada fans:

Moondance Jam forum - direkt link to band wish list board:

http://www.moondanceevents.net/board/viewforum.php?f=10

Rocklahoma board:
http://www.fevertalk.com/

V-fest canada

http://www.virginfestival.ca/

V-fest US

http://virginmobilefestival.com/

I'm sure you know more festivals, post them here and lets all help get the effing ball rolling.
sagalady

Beitragvon Tillmann » Sa Jun 06, 2009 3:35 pm

Good idea Sagalady :D Festivals...

But a club tour alone? Don't think thats a good idea... They should tour with a good package as support act... Something like BB Kings with a handfull of people would be senseless for a two or three week tour...

Rush, Dream Theater, Journey... With one of those bands on tour... That would be great and they'd reach a lot of people :)
Tillmann

Beitragvon sagalady » Sa Jun 06, 2009 5:43 pm

Tillmann hat geschrieben:Good idea Sagalady :D Festivals...

But a club tour alone? Don't think thats a good idea... They should tour with a good package as support act... Something like BB Kings with a handfull of people would be senseless for a two or three week tour...

Rush, Dream Theater, Journey... With one of those bands on tour... That would be great and they'd reach a lot of people :)

I totally agree with you. Problem is to buy in on a tour as support. Very rarely does a headliner not want money from the support act but the support still have to cover crew, hotels and travel and they get no payment at all for playing.

However, while I spent 6 months in Toronto last year I was thinking that Triumph, Kim Mitchell and Saga should go out on a package deal as the Canadian Invasion. Much like OZ fest but just Canadian bands.

A) There is a lot of demand for Triumph out there.
B) Kim Mitchell is a class act to watch on stage.
C) With Saga in the mix we'd cover quite a few genres of music, catering to various music fans.

Calling it Canadian Invasion (or something) means that with each year the bands can change.

All three bands would benefit financially and play to bigger audiences.

But you'd need to bring a big promoter on board for that (Live Nation?), and/or a good booking agent.

It's a thought.
sagalady

Beitragvon Social Orphan » Sa Jun 06, 2009 7:39 pm

sagalady hat geschrieben:
Social Orphan hat geschrieben:

And none of those bands you mentioned are making a mark out here in Europe, touring, gigging, playing the clubs or the festivals. I could sit here in Europe, go to either one of their websites and wail on their forums, pointing fingers, blaming the bands for the fact that they donät play out here.

Thing is, if they don't have a vocal fan base out here, they don't sell albums enough to warrant a promoter to book them, they will not play Europe. It's the same scenario, only in reverse. It's Europe and not US.

So the bands you mention have a better market in US than in Europe. Good for them. Saga, apparently, has a better market in Europe than in US. This message board here has done a heck of a lot to keep that going. There has been years in between touring over here too. There are countries in Europe Saga don't go to because the promoters can't get people through the doors. People = fans.

I've lost count on how many people who have come up to me saying "Saga is still around?" just for wearing a new T-shirt, or simply talking bout going to Germany to see them. I do my bit of reminding people of Saga's existence and slowly they gain old and new fans.

Anyway - you say you get it but I'm not sure.

One guy in Detroit isn't going to get the band a gig in Detroit. But one guy in Detroit can get another 10 guys in Detroit talking about Saga. Each of those in their turn gets another 10 guys talking about Saga. Now it's 100 yapping on. Each of those gets another 10 going, you now have 1000, enough to fill a club.1000 ticket buyers is dollars in the eyes of the promoters.

THAT is what one guy can do.

Armored Saint.. Haven't heard that band name in ages. I wonder if that could be because none of their European fans are yapping about them on the forums out here?

I got news for you SagaLady you are not always correct. When you speak you speak often like you are the only one who knows what they talk about. That is why I sometimes get upset with you.

Armored Saint, Honeymoon Suite, Kix, Helix, etc. The point being none of those bands are more popular than Saga in the US. You act like because they are in these festivals than they have bigger followings than Saga.

Look my point here was not to attack Saga. They are my favorite band. My point here was Saga has on their main page. Where in the USA do you want Saga to play? Well of course I would say Detroit. But a start....anywhere in the USA would be good. And if Saga was serious about reaching more people those festivals are where to start.

If Saga wants to play the US as they say on the front page, I realize it will take work. I have seen Saga's myspace site. Listed as friends of the band Honeymoon Suite and Helix. I'd start by talking to those bands management and seeing how they got on the festivals. How are they getting shows in the USA after years of not having any.

Look there may be more to it that I see. Maybe it is not financially profitable to play the US in these festivals. Just offering up my suggestions.
Social Orphan

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu Tour 2009