If Saga Seriously wants to play in the USA......

Beitragvon Social Orphan » Sa Jun 06, 2009 7:47 pm

One more thing...I challenge one person on here to name Armored Saints biggest hit? Did they have one? Saga has probably no less than 5 songs that did higher on the charts here than Armored Saint. Actually I am surprised Armored Saint is still together. The fact of the matter is if Armored Saint can do it......Saga can do it. You say people go......Saga...are they still around? I bet if anyone recognizes Armored Saints name they would say the same thing. Did not you just say it? The reason people say that about Saga is because they do not do shows in the US. It's that simple.
Social Orphan

Beitragvon sagalady » Sa Jun 06, 2009 8:16 pm

Social Orphan hat geschrieben:I got news for you SagaLady you are not always correct.

Wholeheartedly agree with you.

When you speak you speak often like you are the only one who knows what they talk about. That is why I sometimes get upset with you.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who knows what I'm talking about. I have decades in the business under my belt but have loads more to learn. But I do know what kind of work it takes to get a ball rolling. A manager or a band can't do it singlehandedly. Unless - there is loads of money backing up the venture. Something record companies don't do anymore. (about 1 in 12 bands signed to a label makes a profit. Probably 3 break even. The rest don't.)
Armored Saint, Honeymoon Suite, Kix, Helix, etc. The point being none of those bands are more popular than Saga in the US. You act like because they are in these festivals than they have bigger followings than Saga.

And they don't do anything over here. As I said, it is the same but in reverse.

Look my point here was not to attack Saga. They are my favorite band.

I know that. You're a dedicated fan who wants to see the band play in your area. I think it's great that you bring it up.

My point here was Saga has on their main page. Where in the USA do you want Saga to play? Well of course I would say Detroit. But a start....anywhere in the USA would be good. And if Saga was serious about reaching more people those festivals are where to start.

You are correct that festivals is where to start. For this year? Forget it. Festivals for 2010 will start booking their rosters pretty soon. I work with another band and direct mail to various sources. I quite often see booking requests from promoters coming through in January and those are offers for festivals the following year. (i.e. a request in January 2009 for a festival anywhere between june and september 2010). And if you only knew how many e-mails I get from North American fans that the band in question never tours US. One year they did three tours around US and still that wasn't enough. Go figure.

Look there may be more to it that I see. Maybe it is not financially profitable to play the US in these festivals. Just offering up my suggestions.

Very valid suggestions, I'd say.

Dude, you may be upset with me at times and that is OK. We're all fans of the band and want the best for them. You bringing it up for discussion is great. Hopefully other North American fans on here read this and hopefully some will just try the concept of starting a ball rolling.

Actually, I don't think you are aware of the fact that you yourself have started one ball just by starting this thread.

:1: :1:
sagalady

Beitragvon sagalady » Sa Jun 06, 2009 8:23 pm

Social Orphan hat geschrieben:One more thing...I challenge one person on here to name Armored Saints biggest hit? Did they have one? Saga has probably no less than 5 songs that did higher on the charts here than Armored Saint. Actually I am surprised Armored Saint is still together. The fact of the matter is if Armored Saint can do it......Saga can do it. You say people go......Saga...are they still around? I bet if anyone recognizes Armored Saints name they would say the same thing. Did not you just say it? The reason people say that about Saga is because they do not do shows in the US. It's that simple.

BINGO!!!!

:laola:

You just got it. It's what I've been saying. Same situation but in reverse.

Armored Saint, nope, can't mention a hit.

Neither with Kix.

Honeymoon Suite - New girl now. And they did the title song to one of the Leathal Weapon movies. I was so upset when I found out too late that they were playing in Pickering on Canada Day last year. Around the corner from where I was. A band I've wanted to see live.

Helix - Rock You (Give me an R - you know which one I mean.)

(OT) Does anyone remember Platinum Blond?
sagalady

Beitragvon Tillmann » So Jun 07, 2009 11:54 am

sagalady hat geschrieben:
Tillmann hat geschrieben:Good idea Sagalady :D Festivals...

But a club tour alone? Don't think thats a good idea... They should tour with a good package as support act... Something like BB Kings with a handfull of people would be senseless for a two or three week tour...

Rush, Dream Theater, Journey... With one of those bands on tour... That would be great and they'd reach a lot of people :)

I totally agree with you. Problem is to buy in on a tour as support. Very rarely does a headliner not want money from the support act but the support still have to cover crew, hotels and travel and they get no payment at all for playing.

However, while I spent 6 months in Toronto last year I was thinking that Triumph, Kim Mitchell and Saga should go out on a package deal as the Canadian Invasion. Much like OZ fest but just Canadian bands.

A) There is a lot of demand for Triumph out there.
B) Kim Mitchell is a class act to watch on stage.
C) With Saga in the mix we'd cover quite a few genres of music, catering to various music fans.

Calling it Canadian Invasion (or something) means that with each year the bands can change.

All three bands would benefit financially and play to bigger audiences.

But you'd need to bring a big promoter on board for that (Live Nation?), and/or a good booking agent.

It's a thought.

Awesome idea! :P
Tillmann

Beitragvon mouseinamaze » So Jun 07, 2009 6:28 pm

I think there have been some good suggestions here and who better than the fans who love and support Saga to come up with ideas to get them more exposure.
I think the idea of festivals is a very good one, there are several here in the states who offer fans a variety of acts who very rarely come to the States, especially the less known ones who gain fan base by someone who has come to see another act.
Let's face it, the US is basically a rap, pop and classic rock based country with radio stations that only play scripted, by the book music, very difficult for new music to be heard.
Even Marillion who with their own independence have been successful by doing it themselves, they make their own dvd's, etc but even they can't afford a north american tour, so I understand, neither can Saga.

I hope they are being pro-active as far as contacting these US festivals, they have a well known name and now with a new singer and direction it's a perfect opportunity to reintroduce themselves to fans who only remember them as "that synthesizer band".

Here's a link to a US Festival, and guess what? IT Bites is on the bill, so it seems entirely possible for Saga to get an invite, but, some of these Festivals have to be reminded of what great music these groups are still playing. I would hope their manager(if they even have one) would become proactive and start emailing these festivals, letting them know they are available and would love to do a show.
Financially, it seems to be the only way Saga can afford to get exposure here in the States, because a tour is out of the question.
http://3rprogfest.com/index.php?content=home
mouseinamaze

Beitragvon jeeep » Di Jun 23, 2009 5:06 pm

Tillmann hat geschrieben:
sagalady hat geschrieben:
Tillmann hat geschrieben:Good idea Sagalady :D Festivals...

But a club tour alone? Don't think thats a good idea... They should tour with a good package as support act... Something like BB Kings with a handfull of people would be senseless for a two or three week tour...

Rush, Dream Theater, Journey... With one of those bands on tour... That would be great and they'd reach a lot of people :)

I totally agree with you. Problem is to buy in on a tour as support. Very rarely does a headliner not want money from the support act but the support still have to cover crew, hotels and travel and they get no payment at all for playing.

However, while I spent 6 months in Toronto last year I was thinking that Triumph, Kim Mitchell and Saga should go out on a package deal as the Canadian Invasion. Much like OZ fest but just Canadian bands.

A) There is a lot of demand for Triumph out there.
B) Kim Mitchell is a class act to watch on stage.
C) With Saga in the mix we'd cover quite a few genres of music, catering to various music fans.

Calling it Canadian Invasion (or something) means that with each year the bands can change.

All three bands would benefit financially and play to bigger audiences.

But you'd need to bring a big promoter on board for that (Live Nation?), and/or a good booking agent.

It's a thought.

Awesome idea! :P

Very very good idea !! Triumph is suppose to make a tour this year (original lineup) !
jeeep

Vorherige

Zurück zu Tour 2009