My Take on Saga News

My Take on Saga News

Beitragvon Social Orphan » Fr Jan 19, 2007 4:53 pm

We can all speculate (about Michael leaving) and I want to do a little looking back at Saga. Of course we will never probably find out the real reason but this is my observance.

I have noticed that Saga has played it more safe than ever lately with their music. Really since Full Circle (1999) they have released the same album 5 times. In the past Saga would change things up a little. Saga would sprinkle in albums like Behavior, Wildest Dreams and Steel Umbrellas. Those three albums match much closer to Michael solo cd than any of the recent Saga cds. Most of the other members have released solo cds too and their solo cds seem to match more closely to what Saga is putting out. I have read many on these Saga forums say Saga is putting out their best work..particularly Trust. Saga does have loads of Prog fans. Myself, I never got into Saga because they are prog. They put out music that I liked I could careless of the style having to be prog. I will listen to all types of music even country music. I have read some say that the fans would not like Saga to deviate from the Prog sound they have been categorized as making. I kinda laugh at that because I know others like me that do not feel that way. We appreciate some of the music that has deviated away from Prog. Some of Saga's best work comes from cds like Behavior, Wildest Dreams, Steel Umbrellas and even Shapes. I used to appreciate Saga taking chances and Saga throwing different stuff at us. I myself really enjoyed Michael's solo cd too. I just get the feeling that Michael wanted to make different styles of music. And personally I have thought for a few cds now that Saga needed to take a chance again. It is been too cookie cutter for Saga putting out these prog cds.

So I am writing this because if the reason Michael is leaving the band is about direction of the band I feel that the band does need to change a little direction. Changing singers is not a good direction to go. We still have almost a year of Michael in Saga left and who knows maybe the guys could work it out. Honestly if it means less touring and albums not coming out as frequently I am ok with that. Or sprinking in a 'non-prog' Saga cd that would be great. But Michael belongs in Saga...this is a big mistake not only for Saga but I also believe Michael. Michael is in his 50's now, not a real good time to start a money making solo career. Also in a few years it will be too late for Saga to reunite.

Michael has stated that certain songs off of Behavior and the other cds are some of his favorite to perform. We do not see those songs in a Saga set list. Me as a Saga fan would welcome changes. The cds have been too similar lately and the setlists have also. Saga has such a large catalog let's see Saga with Michael continue but with some varied changes. Let's work this out guys!

I know to a certain extent I am writing this message from ignorance, but these are my observations.
Zuletzt geändert von Social Orphan am Di Jan 23, 2007 5:52 pm, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Social Orphan

Beitragvon SAGA-NORWAY » Fr Jan 19, 2007 7:57 pm

Very well said...

Thank you for your post...
SAGA-NORWAY

Beitragvon Social Orphan » Fr Jan 19, 2007 8:43 pm

Yes, I would also like to add that we as Saga fans are very lucky that all the members are alive and have been in good health. Knock on wood. Many other bands have not been as fortunate.

We all know the Beatles. Well since they broke up and just before John Lennon died, there was a rumor that Paul and John had talked about having the Beatles reunite. There was so much unfinished business with the Beatles, but on that day that John Lennon was murdered it was all done. There was never going to be a Beatles reunion.

My point here is we never know what is in store for any of us. I understand that every individual especially creative types (like those in Saga) really want to express themselves. I believe that all this could be done in a way that would allow Saga to remain in tact. Who knows what can happen....John Lennon is a prime example. Or how about the Ramones? And when it is gone it could be gone forever. So hopefully the guys can patch this up.
Social Orphan

Beitragvon jeeep » Mi Jan 24, 2007 9:33 pm

Social Orphan...when you say that Saga's CD's have been similar lately....I don't agree entirely.

I think the band has put a great effort in the last CD. I think it's a big leap forward from what they've done in the last years.....the drumming, the sound, the main squeletton...the production of their music has changed. Don't you think ?
jeeep

Beitragvon Social Orphan » Mi Jan 24, 2007 11:25 pm

I liked the last cd don't get me wrong. But I feel it is very similar to their other cds from Full Circle forward. I liked House of Cards and Marathon more than Trust though. There was a little more variety on those two cds than on the latest cds in my opinion. Nowadays music has changed and so has Saga, I really don't think Saga concentrates on having 'hit' singles on their new cds, but it isn't necessarily hits....I think there wasn't really any stand out tracks on their latest cds. And too be honest everything on the latest cd sounded similar too me. Saga don't even play It's My Life in concert and that was their single.

There are no obvious changes from cd to cd like in the past. I don't know why Michael is leaving really but if I could speculate I bet he is getting bored recording the same type of songs on each cd. Even the concert set lists have become similar....which doesn't really bother me because Saga never plays the US and when I go see them I have to do a road trip which aint often......but Michael performs these setlists every date. I think you need to play the hits like On The Loose, Wind Him Up, The Flyer and Don't Be Late....but everything else needs to be shaken up. I bet Michael was happy doing the entire Worlds Apart cd because there where some songs in there that they just don't perform normally. Michael has been producing solo music and side projects that are more in line with some of the poppy stuff.......which I enjoy. I think Wildest Dreams, Behavior, Steel Umbrellas and Shapes are some of the best stuff they have performed. I think Saga is in need of recording a cd that is completely different that the last 5 cds......and I would welcome that even if it is not 'prog'.

Sure Michael can go solo and I will enjoy that. I will still enjoy Saga's stuff without him I hope. But especially if I ever see them live again...something will be missing and it will be the other guy(s). That saddens me.
Social Orphan

Beitragvon MichaelNoi » Do Jan 25, 2007 8:56 am

Hi to all,

we should not forget the private aspect of Michael´s plans . In my opinion it is not at first a matter of the Saga music, why Michael decided to leave.
MichaelNoi

Beitragvon BigBoss » Fr Mär 23, 2007 6:07 am

I gotta say, the comment about the other members solo albums sounding like Saga albums is totally off. Gilmours 2 albums are NOTHING like Saga, and the 2 that Ian put out are also NOTHING like Saga. I think Michaels solo album had 1 or 2 songs that could have been Saga material, but to address your point about the sameness. You do have a bit of a point with it, once they revisted the Chapters, it got to be a bit similar from album to album, but with Trust they did a lot of new things, new drummer, new producer, new studio, new location, new writing style (Michael wrote none of the music this time, prior to that he always contributed, but he wanted a different approach) and I think they did a good job of capturing a bit of the old style and also making it new. I know I talked to the band before they were writing and I encouraged them to go a bit more over the top like with lots of vocal harmonies and such, which they did a bit, but they also like to avoid doing things in the studio that they can't reproduce live.
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
BigBoss

Beitragvon dickr » Fr Mär 23, 2007 6:30 am

Well said big boss. The solo efforts are "Worlds Apart" from the Saga discs for the most part. Your comments on "Trust" are right on. Hope the last one follows in the same vain.
Just for the record. I like all sides of Saga. Pop, prog, heavy ect.
Since 1978 they have remained at the top of my play list.
dickr

Beitragvon BigBoss » Fr Mär 23, 2007 4:04 pm

I'm actually close friends with Michael and I know exactly why he is leaving, but I'll let him tell it in his own words and in his own time because what he is going to tell you is going to be the truth, but it doesn't have to be with being bored.

I to like all their albums, although Pleasure & Pain is at the bottom of my list. Michael has told me some pretty interesting stories about just about all the albums, he's a very gracious guy and funny as hell.
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
BigBoss

Beitragvon b-morebug » Sa Mär 24, 2007 10:17 am

I am just sorry SAGA is going thru this and hope Michael is well .I love all thier music ,I listen over and over. I look forward to a new CD who could replace those pipes though??
b-morebug

Beitragvon BigBoss » Sa Mär 24, 2007 5:56 pm

here is the dilema for the band. If they do decide to continue on, then it is rather difficult to record a new album with Michael and then have the new singer have to tour it, but if they do plan on calling it a day, they could certainly get another album out with Michael and everyone go their separate ways. I have no idea what they are going to do, and I think they aren't sure either at this point. I'd love to hear another album from them, one that just pulled out all the stops since they wouldn't be touring it, just really go over the top with it.
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
BigBoss

Beitragvon dickr » So Mär 25, 2007 6:07 am

BigBoss hat geschrieben:here is the dilema for the band. If they do decide to continue on, then it is rather difficult to record a new album with Michael and then have the new singer have to tour it, but if they do plan on calling it a day, they could certainly get another album out with Michael and everyone go their separate ways. I have no idea what they are going to do, and I think they aren't sure either at this point. I'd love to hear another album from them, one that just pulled out all the stops since they wouldn't be touring it, just really go over the top with it.

I think everyone, myself included would love one last album. Just let loose and do what they really want to do. We're gonna buy it! As great as Michael is with the band. I wouldn't mind seeing the rest hanging on for a while. These guys play great together and could continue to make great music.. We've all seen many great bands continue with great sucsess after personel changes. What ever they decide, it's been a great 30 years and I for one will continue to follow and support thier individual or collective efforts.
dickr

Beitragvon Social Orphan » Di Mär 27, 2007 3:54 am

I am still upset with this. Also, found out a key member is leaving on of my other favorite bands. 2007 is just bad all around.

Give me a choice a new cd or tour. Id' take tour because I want to see Saga one last time. I can always revisit my older Saga cds. Give me a US/Canadian tour...if not US at least Canada.
Social Orphan

Beitragvon BigBoss » Fr Mär 30, 2007 10:35 pm

I have kind of a totally different opinion, especially with the latest Genesis reunion, who is Saga are my 2 favorite bands. For Genesis, I've seen them a ton of times, I'd rather they went in the studio, got back to their roots, forgot about hit singles and just really did an album from the heart and full of the conflict and angst that can make great music, that way I can listen to the CD over and over.

I know for myself, I had a much easier time writing music when I was young and single and dating and getting my heart broken and full of angst. As a happily married adult with 2 fine kids, it is hard to find the same motivation in happiness, but I really should write some songs for my kids.
Best Regards,
Shawn Gordon
President
ProgRock Records
www.progrockrecords.com
BigBoss

Beitragvon b-morebug » Fr Apr 13, 2007 7:11 am

I think that Saga should really put together one last mega CD letting go and really write some great music again. I can not see them here in US and if I could go to Germany to see them but I can not now do that. I think the creativity of the band will live on beyond Michael it was not a one man show, although that voice will be hard to replace. The talent of the other members is such that they can do more and I would buy the CD. I would like to see them tour US but I know that this will not happen because they never were very popular here with the American audiance. I for the life of me can not understand that I loved thier music the first time I heard it and I am a Ted Nugent fan also but they are special :o
b-morebug

Nächste

Zurück zu News