Brian Doerner explains it all...

Beitragvon keithm » Fr Okt 26, 2007 5:03 pm

And thank you Christian for Network! For lest we forget - there was soe great tunes and great playing on that album.
keithm

Beitragvon sagalady » Fr Okt 26, 2007 5:27 pm

keithm hat geschrieben:And thank you Christian for Network! For lest we forget - there was soe great tunes and great playing on that album.

Indeed! Me bad for forgettiing Christian.

Sagalady
sagalady

Christian's email address

Beitragvon Ole » Fr Okt 26, 2007 6:13 pm

Hear Hear!!! Does someone have an email for Christian, I want to write him about his health, please, can someone help me out here? I want to send him some info about an orthomolecular medical protocol which may be able to improve or cure his neurological condition! Please email me at alstrupATyahoo.com. Many Thanks.
Ole

Brian says it all again - Sorry Steve - not my fault.

Beitragvon Brian Doerner » So Okt 28, 2007 12:51 am

Well DJM and I exchanged emails – PRIVATELY – As I thought we were doing the first time. In his email to me, DJM said. “When I sent the request to you it was marked Official Media Request. I dont know how much more clearer I could have made my request known Brian. When a person who is in the public arena responds to a request from a radio station, especially marked the way it was, I presume you would have stated your opinion for the public then asked for the other contents to be off the record. If you had of said to me, the rest of this mail is off the record, I would have held it back from the public.”

Well.. I have to say that he’s right – and “presume” is right up there with assume.
I won’t make this mistake again.

His email should have something that reads: WARNING! – Be careful how you reply because I will forward whatever you say – no matter the expense to numerous persons, living or dead – no matter how rude and embarrassing it may be, or how unethical and low, so that I may stand tall and proud because I know, just because I shouldn’t post something derogatory .. I will, so that my radio show will prosper because I have no moral fiber or integrity.

So my apologies to Steve Negus – I never meant for it to be this way. I’m sorry.
My point is that I assumed this was a private email to DJM and not for the whole world to read.
It was not sent to a blog or forum. I did not say any of this to prove that I was the best drummer in the world or even better than anyone else. These comments were to DJM about how little he knows about drumming and how ridiculous his Master Drummer Page is with all the bad spelling on his My Space site. This crap about his listeners demanding answers? My statement is not hard to figure out. Do you know the phrase, “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas”? Maybe I should’ve said that eh?
– I attacked DJM because he was demanding answers from me. How can you give commentary on a subject you know nothing about? It’s like talking about car racing when you’ve never raced a car or been to race!
Saga Lady says it well on the forum. Thank you.

I did not attack Steve publicly – DJM and Roar had me attack Steve by publicly posting my email – it was not public before, was it? DJM is the one showing disrespect and negativity to Steve for posting my email. Way to go DJM - you got your 15 minutes of fame.

If someone told me I was the best player they’d ever seen, I’d tell them they’re blind as well or maybe that they haven’t seen enough drummers. No shame in that! DJM also said,” You and I both know that a regular radio station would probably not made certain comments of yours public in fear of retribution from the record labels.” DUH! So there it is! There’s no fear of retribution. Try and be “regular”. You won’t shoot yourself in the foot that way.
Nice one DJM – Steve is probably very hurt now. What did you hope to gain by this posting? Ratings?
Brian Doerner
Bandmember

Re: Brian says it all again - Sorry Steve - not my fault.

Beitragvon peterkre » So Okt 28, 2007 1:45 am

Hi Brian,

i'm a little bit sad, that a public forum like this one sometimes gives lower significant people an opportinuty to appear more significant. I love the direct contact between the band members and their fans and i hope, that this valuable possibility don't suffer in the future.

Tschüss,

Peter
„Wichtig ist, dass man nicht aufhört zu fragen“
peterkre

Beitragvon Social Orphan » Mo Okt 29, 2007 6:46 pm

sagalady hat geschrieben:Wow! Some really dedicated fans here. Some who take sides and some who are really good at reading between the lines.

As with most things in life - there are two sides to every story and none of us have both. We are all obviously on a "need to know" basis and none of us need to know. DJM seems to have an agenda and someone here asked what he had invested in Steve. Maybe loads, maybe nothing. Maybe the guy is just a very good friend who thinks that sticking up for Steve like this is what friendship is all about. Unfortuunately - IMHO it only puts Steve in bad light, and considering I know all the band members, Brian and Steve personally, I can't see Steve endorsing this crusade at all or he would have commented publicly using those words, himself. Steve is a pro and would not stoop to the word slinging level this has become. Nor would he have posted personal messages and e-mails as some of his defendants here have.What is said privately is a whole different story but publicly, neither one would do this as all it is doing is shooting themselves and the band in the foot. (Less ticket sales = less money to all involved. Cancelled shows = loss of royalty monies to all composers, even those not present on stage. So - if you want to support one or all of the band members - don't stop buying tickets and DO go to the show.)

I can't find any headers or anything in the message that is supposed to be from Brian but still those words do not sound like Brian at all. I bet he is more pissed off than anyone else that he can't be out there on the final tour.

The debate on which one of the two is the better is a losing battle. No side has the right answer. I love Steve's playing in the past albums and tours. But my personal opinion, as much as I love the guy, his heart wasn't in it and it showed in his playing. Any musician with self respect will step down when that happens and move on to new horizons, which is precisely what Steve did when he left the band. Sure - stepping in to help old friends and old band mates is one thing (and we should all thank him for it. Especially those ticket buyers who travelled to the shows and got to see one and not stand infront of a closed door with a poster saying "Cancelled" stuck on it) - but he is no longer a member of Saga and he has as much say in who is to play on tour with them as any of us fans.

Brian was the perfect choice to replace Steve. His style is completely different to Steve's. More importantly, he has the drive and hunger to outperform himself at each show and his heart is in it. I still smile each time I hear the drum fill in "Back to the Shadows" just as much as I smile when I hear Steve backing Crush in the unabridged version of "Cat Walk".

Still, I think Brian is right when he (that is if it is him) says that Steve is not the world's best drummer. Thing is, neither is Brian. Both are brilliant but neither is the best in the world. Then again, that is my opinion and someone else will think differently. That's the way life is.

Steve knew the set and could step in for Brian in Canada. Chris could not. Maybe he was gigging elsewhere. Even if he had been available, rehearsing him in to the set at the drop of a hat over night would have been humanly impossible. 3 weeks rehearsals is perfectly doable.They would rehears the new set regardless who'd be playing the tour as there is a HUGE difference between playing in a studio and playing live on stage.

Thank you Steve, for being there in the past and for stepping in when you were asked.

Thank you Brian, for breathing life back in to Saga and make the guys happy playing againand giving us two more great studio CDs (I still haven't heard the latest but no doubt it is brilliant).

Thank you Chris for filling in the shoes of both Steve and Brian. No doubt you will make your own foot steps with the band and I trust you will have a blast touring with them and you will play your heart out for the fans.

I just hope I will get to see this line up before it is too late. Those of you who do - make it one heck of a send-off party for Mike.

Sagalady

WOW! I agree with Sagalady.

One thing that happens, with these forums the more I see them is that band members can not comment on the actual websites….cuz what happens is people turn the words around. Brian had the best intentions. Brian has responded well with the fans since he has been in the band. But when he says something that others may not like and are sensitive to every thing explodes. Personally I thank Brian for being outfront with everyone. Hey we aint going to agree with everything just like Politics or Religion.

I personally laugh at those that criticize Saga for not telling Steve the entire story when getting him to fill in. Maybe Saga did not know 100% what they were going to do. Maybe they were 60/40. 50/50, 40/60. Who knows?

One thing Saga knew was that Brian had a heart attack ONE DAY before there final Canadian dates. Saga could not reschedule these dates….it had already been advertised that the final show was pay per view on December 5th and Michael was leaving the band after that show. So Saga got Steve to fill in and thankfully Steve did. There would’ve been many disappointed fans if Steve had not done that show. Also, let’s just say Saga told Steve “Hey, Steve we are really thankful that you filled in for Brian on short notice but we have decided that we need a better drummer for the European Tour”. Would Steve of done the Canadian shows then? NO. and Therefore the Canadian Tour would’ve been cancelled. I was at the show in Toronto and it was great. The entire band seemed so happy…Michael publically thanked Steve. And the fans were so happy. Those of you who did not go to the Canadian Shows could be all righteous and criticize Saga…remember that Saga had a split second to make this work…they could not really plan things it was all on reflex. But I for one would’ve been out my hotel money if Saga had cancelled the show.

Thank you. Saga and Thank you Steve. That concert will be one I will remember forever.
Social Orphan

Beitragvon alexandertheprettygood » Fr Jan 25, 2008 11:34 pm

Glad to see Brian on the road to recovery, but I gotta say this: he can learn all the Rick Gratton licks he wants, he's still only a "remarkably adequate" replacement for Steve Negus. His drumming on the last two abums is good, but where's the soul? Ah well, many people think Neil Peart is better than John Bonham, what can you tell these types?
alexandertheprettygood

Beitragvon Trudes Oude Voshaar » So Jan 27, 2008 12:43 pm

His soul? I think Brian has a great charisma he did a wonderful job.
He loves drumming and he loves music!!!
Trudes Oude Voshaar
Contributors
Contributors

Beitragvon wegebakira » Di Jan 29, 2008 11:26 am

Yes, well done Sagalady. I agree, but would also like to thank Christian Simpson who also played the drums for SAGA. All of them did a good job. For me, no need to discuss who was the best.
SAGA - It never ends
wegebakira

Vorherige

Zurück zu News