Brian Doerner explains it all...

Brian Doerner explains it all...

Beitragvon Roar » Fr Okt 26, 2007 2:02 am

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
(http://www.imagesandwords.com/forums/sh ... ight=negus)
"Brian made a statement on the Saga Germany's site that my listeners and I questioned and wanted clarification on. I made and "Official Media Request" for comment to Brian Doerner and he has responded. This response is going to make alot of people mad, sad, confused and/or just plain pissed off. This is NOT meant to incite or start confrontations. IT IS FACTUAL AND UN-EDITED.

My Myspace message to Brian read as follows:

22/10/2007
Hi Brian,

**Official Media Request**

I would like to ask you to clarify this statement from Saga-ger site please:

"A band member's conduct is just as important off stage as on stage. You must be a postive influence to the whole organization."

There are some people that I know that are a bit upset about the way that statement can be taken. I certainly hope your not refering to the "Negus" issue, cause if you are Brian there are SEVERAL fans that listen to my show that want you to clarify this. I am quite surprised that you would even state that (even if it isnt directed at Negus). I admire your talent and feel for your current situation. Please clarify this statement noted above so I can pass it along to the listeners that are aware of it. Im sure with some thought, you might understand thats the kinda thing that should NOT be posted under the current circumstances!.

I expect that you will clarify this statement to me as my listeners (Saga Fans) are demanding a response. I will notify them on my show, that I have contacted you for comment.

Mark Brewer.
Program Director,
Record Label Manager,
summer-radio.com

**************Brian Doerner's Response Below*****************

24/10/2007
Message From Brian to DJM Of http://www.summer-radio.com read as follows:

Behaviour from 30 years ago is not acceptable anymore . Our bodies cannot and will not do what we did when we were younger. You can’t expect you’ll play with the same vigor as a rested person. The band and crew will hear and feel it. A positive influence to an organization is a dedicated musician that will practice every day.

I’ve met Steve and like him……..he's a nice man, and I commend him on being a stand up guy and filling in for me twice. ..but, this is obviously the "Poor Steve" Radio Hour and you are the banner carrying mascot. You remind me of someone I saw on CNN waving the, “OJ is Innocent” flag.” Your listeners are upset?… don't you mean your upset because your not going to get the exposure you thought you would if Steve was on tour?. How much money do you have invested?

It seems that you and Steve are best friends and therefore you would never question his drumming abilities.

Your listeners may take my statement anyway they'd like but let me make it clear. It's hard being in a Progressive rock band when you don't Progress. The truth is a hard pill to swallow sometimes. I know..... I just had my pill.

I will not tip toe around this like so many people have. I hear it all the time…even from young drum students. I also had no vote and was not included in the discussion on who was to drum on the tour but I support the current band members’ decision.

I did give my statement some thought and have few words to say about that. After looking at your Myspace site I have to say woah!....MASTER DRUMMER? Please? I’m laughing out loud here!!!! If Steve is the best drummer you ever seen, then you are blind. Some people can’t tell the difference between a good drummer and someone who is remarkably adequate… and you my friend, are one of those people.
You should check your spelling dude – what grade did you finish?

I have a lot more to worry about than your bullshit.
Fuck Off

I would like to ask Brian Doerner when he last seen Steve Negus play to be a critic of his. My understanding in the music business is that its very disrespectful to show negativity to a founding retired memeber of the band you work for. Nice one Brian!...This is soo not cool. To attack me over a simple question makes me wonder why you then attacked Steve in such a public way....in your response to me knowing that I would post this in my chat room at summer-radio and on this forum as well. Im sure what youve said in this media reply will be heard loud and clear..
DJM."

:o Way to go, Brian! NOT! I guess it's true; You DO get taller standing on other people...!
I rest my case...
Roar

Beitragvon Frank Aufmoog » Fr Okt 26, 2007 9:41 am

I concur with Brian that Steve by far has never been the best drummer and that he is today not as good as he was in his best days. In my opinion Brian is better than Steve - Chris I haven't heard yet. But does it really need a progressive rock drummer to play SAGA stuff. I doubt it. What kind of progress do they wanna start at the last tour. Bottomline: why didn't they tell Steve up front that he has the chance to play the two Canadian dates but they will hire someone else for the europe tour? Okay, it would have been nice to see the entire old Band lineup on this last tour, but if they feel not comfortable with his drumming anymore I can completely understand the decision to get someone else on board.
Frank Aufmoog

Beitragvon Andy » Fr Okt 26, 2007 9:56 am

The whole affair is unworthy of any comment... :x

Frank Aufmoog hat geschrieben: but if they feel not comfortable with his drumming anymore I can completely understand the decision to get someone else on board.

If they don't (didn't) feel comfortable with him then they shouldn't have asked him to play the two concerts in Canada... :roll:
StarinkWorld - The Official Ed Starink Website

Bild
Andy

Wohnort: Wiesbaden, Germany / Allemagne / Duitsland / Deutschland

Beitragvon Roar » Fr Okt 26, 2007 10:19 am

Frank Aufmoog hat geschrieben:I concur with Brian that Steve by far has never been the best drummer and that he is today not as good as he was in his best days. In my opinion Brian is better than Steve

I love apples. You love oranges. Who decides what's best? Not me, not you - and certainly not Brian Doerner...
I rest my case...
Roar

Beitragvon Frank Aufmoog » Fr Okt 26, 2007 10:20 am

Andy hat geschrieben:The whole affair is unworthy of any comment... :x

Frank Aufmoog hat geschrieben: but if they feel not comfortable with his drumming anymore I can completely understand the decision to get someone else on board.

If they don't (didn't) feel comfortable with him then they shouldn't have asked him to play the two concerts in Canada... :roll:

This was an emergency situation of course-should they have cancelled the gigs instead??? :o
Frank Aufmoog

Beitragvon Andy » Fr Okt 26, 2007 10:24 am

Frank Aufmoog hat geschrieben:
This was an emergency situation of course-should they have cancelled the gigs instead??? :o

No, they could have engaged Chris Sutherland, too... but it seems Steve was comfortable enough for them to use him on these two gigs... :-?

Bild
Andy

Beitragvon Roar » Fr Okt 26, 2007 11:08 am

Frank Aufmoog hat geschrieben:This was an emergency situation of course-should they have cancelled the gigs instead??? :o

They should have told Steve BEFORE the Canadian shows he was 2nd choice... THAT would be the decent thing to do - and that's what this discussion is ALL about - not who's the "best" drummer!
Brian's obviously "the best" - in his own eyes - but NOT in mine... :roll:
And as for his personal attack on Steve; HOW LOW CAN YOU GET, BRIAN!!!? :evil:
I rest my case...
Roar

Beitragvon Frank Aufmoog » Fr Okt 26, 2007 11:14 am

Andy hat geschrieben:

No, they could have engaged Chris Sutherland, too... but it seems Steve was comfortable enough for them to use him on these two gigs... :-?

Stupid-how could he play the songs without reharse together with the band before
Frank Aufmoog

Beitragvon Andy » Fr Okt 26, 2007 11:19 am

Stupid-how could he play the songs without reharse together with the band before

Who is stupid? Bum! :evil: Do you really believe that Sutherland has been asked in October first so that he had only 3 weeks to rehearse the complete SAGA repertoire for the EU tour? How credulously are you? :roll:

Bild
Andy

Beitragvon Frank Aufmoog » Fr Okt 26, 2007 11:21 am

Roar hat geschrieben:
Frank Aufmoog hat geschrieben:I concur with Brian that Steve by far has never been the best drummer and that he is today not as good as he was in his best days. In my opinion Brian is better than Steve

I love apples. You love oranges. Who decides what's best? Not me, not you - and certainly not Brian Doerner...

May opinion , but I have no problem with Steve doing the job- I would like to see him but the band did not. As I said if you can read: "Bottomline: why didn't they tell Steve up front that he has the chance to play the two Canadian dates but they will hire someone else for the europe tour?"
Frank Aufmoog

Beitragvon Frank Aufmoog » Fr Okt 26, 2007 11:24 am

Andy hat geschrieben:

Who is stupid? Bum! :evil: Do you really believe that Sutherland has been asked in October first so that he had only 3 weeks to rehearse the complete SAGA repertoire for the EU tour? How credulously are you? :roll:

Is this a fact and where you've got this information from or is this just your guess?? ;)
Frank Aufmoog

Beitragvon Roar » Fr Okt 26, 2007 11:31 am

Frank Aufmoog hat geschrieben: As I said if you can read: "Bottomline: why didn't they tell Steve up front that he has the chance to play the two Canadian dates but they will hire someone else for the europe tour?"

Oh, yes - I can read :lol:
I rest my case...
Roar

Beitragvon Frank Aufmoog » Fr Okt 26, 2007 12:56 pm

Roar hat geschrieben:

I love apples and oranges :lol: but the BAND has the right to decide under their own perspective what to do and the people have to decide if they like it or not once they have seen the difference.
Frank Aufmoog

Beitragvon sagalady » Fr Okt 26, 2007 4:45 pm

Wow! Some really dedicated fans here. Some who take sides and some who are really good at reading between the lines.

As with most things in life - there are two sides to every story and none of us have both. We are all obviously on a "need to know" basis and none of us need to know. DJM seems to have an agenda and someone here asked what he had invested in Steve. Maybe loads, maybe nothing. Maybe the guy is just a very good friend who thinks that sticking up for Steve like this is what friendship is all about. Unfortuunately - IMHO it only puts Steve in bad light, and considering I know all the band members, Brian and Steve personally, I can't see Steve endorsing this crusade at all or he would have commented publicly using those words, himself. Steve is a pro and would not stoop to the word slinging level this has become. Nor would he have posted personal messages and e-mails as some of his defendants here have.What is said privately is a whole different story but publicly, neither one would do this as all it is doing is shooting themselves and the band in the foot. (Less ticket sales = less money to all involved. Cancelled shows = loss of royalty monies to all composers, even those not present on stage. So - if you want to support one or all of the band members - don't stop buying tickets and DO go to the show.)

I can't find any headers or anything in the message that is supposed to be from Brian but still those words do not sound like Brian at all. I bet he is more pissed off than anyone else that he can't be out there on the final tour.

The debate on which one of the two is the better is a losing battle. No side has the right answer. I love Steve's playing in the past albums and tours. But my personal opinion, as much as I love the guy, his heart wasn't in it and it showed in his playing. Any musician with self respect will step down when that happens and move on to new horizons, which is precisely what Steve did when he left the band. Sure - stepping in to help old friends and old band mates is one thing (and we should all thank him for it. Especially those ticket buyers who travelled to the shows and got to see one and not stand infront of a closed door with a poster saying "Cancelled" stuck on it) - but he is no longer a member of Saga and he has as much say in who is to play on tour with them as any of us fans.

Brian was the perfect choice to replace Steve. His style is completely different to Steve's. More importantly, he has the drive and hunger to outperform himself at each show and his heart is in it. I still smile each time I hear the drum fill in "Back to the Shadows" just as much as I smile when I hear Steve backing Crush in the unabridged version of "Cat Walk".

Still, I think Brian is right when he (that is if it is him) says that Steve is not the world's best drummer. Thing is, neither is Brian. Both are brilliant but neither is the best in the world. Then again, that is my opinion and someone else will think differently. That's the way life is.

Steve knew the set and could step in for Brian in Canada. Chris could not. Maybe he was gigging elsewhere. Even if he had been available, rehearsing him in to the set at the drop of a hat over night would have been humanly impossible. 3 weeks rehearsals is perfectly doable.They would rehears the new set regardless who'd be playing the tour as there is a HUGE difference between playing in a studio and playing live on stage.

Thank you Steve, for being there in the past and for stepping in when you were asked.

Thank you Brian, for breathing life back in to Saga and make the guys happy playing againand giving us two more great studio CDs (I still haven't heard the latest but no doubt it is brilliant).

Thank you Chris for filling in the shoes of both Steve and Brian. No doubt you will make your own foot steps with the band and I trust you will have a blast touring with them and you will play your heart out for the fans.

I just hope I will get to see this line up before it is too late. Those of you who do - make it one heck of a send-off party for Mike.

Sagalady
sagalady

Beitragvon Bertho » Fr Okt 26, 2007 5:02 pm

Very well written, sagalady! Couldn't agree more. There's so much we don't know about, no chance at all to judge the whole thing. I'm just happy to see SAGA twice this tour and look forward to them! Let's party with Michael and the band for a last few times!

p.s. The new album IS fantastic! Makes it even harder to see Michael leaving...
Bertho

Nächste

Zurück zu News