No part is greater than the sum of all parts.

No part is greater than the sum of all parts.

Beitragvon sagalady » Mi Nov 21, 2007 11:32 pm

Sitting around thinking about Hamburg I have to ask: Why the doom and gloom?

I heard it in Hamburg and I see it here.
"Saga is over."
"Without Michael there is no Saga."
"This is the end."
"They are breaking up."

Seriously speaking, folks, this tour is a "farewell to Michael Sadler" not a farewell to Saga. Has anyone here actually seen any official statement that the band is breaking up? I haven't.

It seems some fans even say these things straight to the band's face. What's up with that?

I'm just a fan and am speaking as a fan. At the same time I work in this business (again - I do not work for Saga so what I say here is strictly my own opinion) and I've seen many bands go through changes of key members.

Michael is not Saga. As the title says: No part is greater than the sum of all parts.

Michael is a fantastic singer and has a stage presence few have and many would dream of. Plus he's drop dead gorgeous and sexy (Gwen is one lucky woman.), but he is not the band. Again - No part is greater than the sum of all parts.

Pink Floyd lost Roger Waters and everyone said that Pink Floyd was dead. Funny how they went to even greater achievements and that without the person everyone thought was the main song writer. I've seen Pink Floyd (and worked on the 94 tour) and I've seen Roger Waters. I know which set up I prefer.

Freddy Mercury died and years later Queen toured with Paul Rogers. They played Toronto last year same day I was flying back to Europe (and staying in the hotel next to the condo I was in). I missed the tour completely but I have friends who went and they say it was fantastic. (personally I think Robby Williams would have been a better front man for Queen as he has that same kind of charisma as Freddy had. No disrespect to Paul. He's a great singer.)

Peter Gabriel left Genesis and failing to find a replacement, Phil Collins took over the vocals. Need I say more? (and if you missed the recent tour, shame. It was fantastic.)

Deep Purple has had 4 singers. Currently there is only one original member in the band. Ian Gillan is not the original singer but he is the one the fans enjoy the best. He's been in and out of the band three times, now. Coverdale got accepted rather well by the fans. The classic line-up reformed in the 80's and early 90's Gillan was out and Joe Lynn Turner was in. One album, one world tour. A great album although not with the classic Purple sound. But it was a stop gap. Gillan got back in, and Purple is still out there touring. Ritchie has since left as well. Oh the outrage in the fan community. The band was over. No more Deep Purple. It was the end of the band. Sure, it was the end of the band as we knew it but they carried on with a new guitar player. Steve's been in the band longer than Ritchie ever was - combined. Go figure.

Marillion lost Fish. Marillion is still functioning as a band.

Do I need to carry on with more examples?

Now, just about all of the examples changed their sound as well. They would have done that with or without personell changes. In business - if what you do is not working you change. Saga has changed their sound several times. (Do I need to mention Behaviour, Wildest Dreams, Shape..., Steel Umbrellas, Pleasure & Pain and not to forget Generation 13.) A new singer will very likely mean a different sound. (Ok, so Journey got a Steve Perry Clone in Steve Augeri but that's just minor details.) Styx sound different with Gowan (who is Canadian) and IMnotsoHO better. So ofcourse it will be different. A new singer will bring his own interpretation to the old songs. (When I saw Ray Wilson sing Lamb Lies Down on Broadway it made sense and was the first time I liked the song.)

I was a little sad in Hamburg watching the band. I had a bit of separation anxiety. Probably the last time I saw them in that constellation. However - I am looking forward to what the rest of them will come up with in the future, as I have no doubt they will do something.

Michael - if you read this - I love you to bits (even though it is my job to piss you off *wink*). Good luck with your future life and fatherhood. I wish you all the best and I'll miss you dearly.

The rest of the guys - I can't wait to see and hear what you will come up with. I have no doubt there is tons and tons of music and words in you all, just waiting for you to let it out and give it life and touch the lives of us who buy the albums and listen and relate. Please don't make us fans wait too long.

Sagalady

Note: The title to my post here is a direct quote from a current member of one of the bands I've brought up as examples. He will remain nameless as he is a client.
sagalady

Beitragvon Sil3nc3r- » Mi Nov 21, 2007 11:56 pm

This is very well written sagalady, but still i'm not conviced about this. I'm not really sure if they continue or not (personally i think they WILL continue), but Michael will be hard to replace. And yea...you brought enough examples of groups where it worked. Genesis is one example for me. When Phil left them, i just forgot about genesis (sorry to say that), but you canÄt replace a Phil Collins..not possible.

At the moment i feel the same about Michael...but for sure i will not forgot about SAGA starting next year, because i love them too much and owed them some VERY NICE TIMES when i was young. I had times where i thought, i better would be dead without that music from SAGA.

So i wish the guys the best luck they can get with doing something new. And it will be very hard for the new front man, he has to convince ALL fans, but i also wish him/her the best luck for that, and i'm very excited about the "new" music we hear from SAGA (except the possibility that they're going to quit).

The bad thing: when they get a new singer, we never will see Michael again with SAGA, making me even more sad. ;(

But i'm not egoistic enough, so i wish SAGA a great new singer, who can get into the footsteps of Michael.

MICHAEL: THX for founding SAGA and make so much incredible nice performing and singing. Your music (off course the band, too) has a big meaning to my life. But i have to admit, that i have kinda a fixation on your voice, So, in the first place for me, SAGA is Michael Sadler. *drools*

Thx for reading, and sorry.I'm sure there are some minor gramatically mistakes in that text. ^^

Sil3nc3r-
Sil3nc3r-

Beitragvon sagalady » Do Nov 22, 2007 12:25 am

Sil3nc3r- hat geschrieben:This is very well written sagalady, but still i'm not conviced about this. I'm not really sure if they continue or not (personally i think they WILL continue), but Michael will be hard to replace.

I think the only ones who know what will happen is the guys in the band. I remain positive and do not think this band is over.

But I know what you're saying. It will be tough for whomever takes over.

And yea...you brought enough examples of groups where it worked. Genesis is one example for me. When Phil left them, i just forgot about genesis (sorry to say that), but you canÄt replace a Phil Collins..not possible.

Funny, before Phil left I couldn't tell the difference between Genesis and Phil Collins the solo artist. They sounded very much the same. The show I saw this summer was back to the roots. It was Genesis - not Phil Collins. So maybe the split was a good thing. Mike got to do his thing and Phil his. Have no idea what Tony was up to in the break. But the reunion tour this year was awesome.

I had times where i thought, i better would be dead without that music from SAGA.

There is this one song from Saga that mean the world to me. I spent a week with it on repeat crying like a baby but it was all good. It was cleansing. It was my wake-up call. It showed me what was wrong and pointed me in the right direction.

Now I listen to it to remind me of where I'm going - Home.
sagalady

Beitragvon Leo Cameo » Do Nov 22, 2007 12:57 am

I'm sure Michael will "hang around" the other guys......just not touring in a near future ;) 8)
Leo Cameo

Beitragvon tooldieyguy » Do Nov 22, 2007 3:02 am

Could be that he still records albums with them, just not tour.
I dont know if we can read between the lines on 10000 days but there are many referances to things like ONE DOOR CLOSES ONE MORE OPENS, read the words to Cant you see me now, and so on there are many underlying tones in what he is trying to say.
But that is my drunken opinion (because i cant see them in Europe)
Its time to go!!!
tooldieyguy

Beitragvon tooldieyguy » Do Nov 22, 2007 3:04 am

Or at the very least we will have to wait for a ROCKSTAR SAGA.
Sign ME up!!
Its time to go!!!
tooldieyguy

Beitragvon sagalady » Do Nov 22, 2007 11:44 am

tooldieyguy hat geschrieben:Could be that he still records albums with them, just not tour.
I dont know if we can read between the lines on 10000 days but there are many referances to things like ONE DOOR CLOSES ONE MORE OPENS, read the words to Cant you see me now, and so on there are many underlying tones in what he is trying to say.
But that is my drunken opinion (because i cant see them in Europe)

EXACTLY!!!!

On my return home and drive from the airport after the Hamburg gig I visited two friends who are both Saga fans Both had LISTENED to he album and both were talking of the future of Saga.

Like you I and my friends think there are a ton of hints in 10k days.

Just one question. Are you sure Michael wrote the words? Does it say in the liner notes? If so please tell me where because I can't find it.

Just guessing here....
sagalady

Beitragvon Timmer » Do Nov 22, 2007 1:30 pm

Wow Sagalady you sure said a lot. I sent a review of the Barrie gig to the German forum along with an article from the Barrie Advance. I'm trying to recover it because it was a very good article with Ian speaking about Saga moving ahead. He thinks they have found a new singer. Quoted from the Article by Jim Barber "He's got a hell of a set of pipes on him. And we're going to give it a shot, lets put it that way."
As much as I didn't like Steve Hacket or Peter Gabriel or Phil Collins leaving Genesis look at how much more music has been produced since the 70's with all the solo careers taken into account. Let alone concerts I've attended and DVD purchased!
So with Michael leaving his Saga family who knows what's in store. If Clear is any indication I look forward to the future. I just hope it doesn't take as long to get a new CD from Mr. Sadler.
If I can ge the complete article quoted above I will post here.
Tim
Timmer

Beitragvon sagalady » Do Nov 22, 2007 4:52 pm

Timmer hat geschrieben:Wow Sagalady you sure said a lot.

I needed to get it off my chest. It's been brewing and I've been upset over it. I'm a fan of the band. Full stop. I have Ian's solo work, Daryl's solo work, Mike's solo work and every studio album Saga has made. I would have loved to see the line-up with Curt Cress but I did get to see them with Tim and Trevor.

Thanks for listening - so to speak. (maybe that should be "reading - so to write")

Sagalady
sagalady

Beitragvon Timmer » Fr Nov 23, 2007 3:52 pm

Okay Everyone:
Here is the article from the Barrie Advance. The interview was done before the Barrie show of October 4th 2007. Read the complete thing. I think it is very positive about Saga and the future.
http://www.barrieadvance.com/article/48753
Enjoy and stay positive.
Your Saga Friend Tim
Timmer

Beitragvon sagalady » Fr Nov 23, 2007 4:04 pm

tooldieyguy hat geschrieben:Or at the very least we will have to wait for a ROCKSTAR SAGA.
Sign ME up!!

"Be careful what you wish for. You might not be able to wish it away."

HAHAHAHAHA!

Tool, you must have known something.

Spot on mate!
sagalady

Beitragvon Timmer » Fr Nov 23, 2007 4:19 pm

Sagalady:
Quote:

Tony scored the 7 track CD call "Seven - A Suite For Orchestra". Recorded with the London Philharmonic Orchestra. Conducted by Mike Dixon. As much success as the others have had solo I much prefer Tonys music.
By the way I liked Genesis with Ray Wilson. My understanding was they "only" sold 3 million copies of "Calling All Stations". Considered poor by their standards. Resulting in the cancellation of the NA tour. To which I had tickets for at the Humming Bird Theatre. (which you may remember as The St. Lawrence Center") Ray should have had a second chance. I have in my private collection what I have entitled "Three more sides live." 19 live tracks and 7 unreleased studio tracks with Ray.
Tim
Timmer

Beitragvon sagalady » Fr Nov 23, 2007 4:26 pm

Timmer hat geschrieben:
Ray should have had a second chance. I have in my private collection what I have entitled "Three more sides live." 19 live tracks and 7 unreleased studio tracks with Ray.
Tim

I agree. Ray should have had a second chance. I think he was a great choice for Genesis. He could do the songs justice and he was no Phil nor was he Peter. And he didn't try to emulate them either. Great voice.

I only have "Bank Statement" which I think is fantastic.

I toured with Mike & The Mechanics so am fully aware of Mike's doings. Sad loss when Paul died. Nice guy.

Anyway - thanks for the link to the article. A very interesting read.
sagalady

Beitragvon Kenny Gus » Fr Nov 23, 2007 5:29 pm

Leo Cameo hat geschrieben:I'm sure Michael will "hang around" the other guys......just not touring in a near future ;) 8)

I'm so with you on this one, brother! ;)
Bild
Kenny Gus

Beitragvon Leo Cameo » Fr Nov 23, 2007 5:39 pm

Kenny Gus hat geschrieben:
Leo Cameo hat geschrieben:I'm sure Michael will "hang around" the other guys......just not touring in a near future ;) 8)

I'm so with you on this one, brother! ;)

Did You listen to what Michael told Me in Krefeld? ;) :eg: :D :D
Leo Cameo

Nächste

Zurück zu News