All I need is for you to believe
Come to me I can help you feel free
Take my hand & understand that I believe
kuschelhawk
Contributors
Contributors

Eric Crabb

Beitragvon socratease » Sa Jan 26, 2008 11:50 pm

Firstly, I don't think it's possible to be too hot, and I don't think that someone nice to look at can by any means hurt the band.

You do agree that his voice cuts it. I don't know that I am ready to fault a prospect because his look may be too sexy, when he has all the other qualities. (seemingly)

I remember a discussion a while back about how most of Saga's audiences were comprised of mostly men. Pehaps a "Chippendale" look with talent is exactly what Saga needs. We need to remember that we saw a two minute video clip, of which I'm willing to judge on voice and talent. He seems not afraid of the camera and has stage presence. I mostly care about what he sounds like to be honest, but it doesn't hurt that he's easy to look at.

It doesn't bother me how or when he lifts his arms and legs.

Cheers,
Soc
socratease

Beitragvon Carl1 » So Jan 27, 2008 1:35 am

I think Eric Crabb, out of all the ones I've seen so far is the most confident in terms of vocals and presentation. I think he probably would be a good front man for the right band (not sure if Saga is the one, need to hear more) although I understand what Sagalady means about the stage moves. I think he's probably looked at the other video's and thought about trying to make his stand out from those already on line.
The problem being he's tried too hard and ended up making his stage moves too full on and created this cheesy rock star persona. The repeated twirls are annoying.
Did anyone ever see Darius audition for the UK TV show "Popstars" ?. He gave his own unique take on Britney Spears "Hit Me Baby One More Time" and it was so cheesy it's become world famous and is often shown on piss take TV shows.
Eric's vids kind of remind me of that altough nowhere near as bad :-)
I have a sneaking feeling unless there is someone exceptional in all departments suddenly posts a clip on Youtube, we wont see anyone on the list actually joining the band. My guess is they already have someone ready to fill the void and that someone may well be quite famous in the rock world already. Only Time Will Tell ;-)
Carl1

Re: Eric Crabb

Beitragvon sagalady » So Jan 27, 2008 2:43 am

socratease hat geschrieben:Firstly, I don't think it's possible to be too hot, and I don't think that someone nice to look at can by any means hurt the band.

You do agree that his voice cuts it. I don't know that I am ready to fault a prospect because his look may be too sexy, when he has all the other qualities. (seemingly)

No, I have not said that his voice cut it. I've said he has a great voice. But long drawn out notes and wailings is also something that has never been a Saga trade mark. Saying I think he has a great voice doesn't mean I think he has a great voice for Saga.

I remember a discussion a while back about how most of Saga's audiences were comprised of mostly men. Pehaps a "Chippendale" look with talent is exactly what Saga needs. We need to remember that we saw a two minute video clip, of which I'm willing to judge on voice and talent. He seems not afraid of the camera and has stage presence. I mostly care about what he sounds like to be honest, but it doesn't hurt that he's easy to look at.

I don't think bringing in some eye candy and fluff will bring in the female fans. IIf Saga hasn't managed to do that in the past 30 years they won't now, even if the bring on the entire chipendales.

At the end of the day - who gets the gig is none of our business. I think this youtube thing is mainly a very good marketing stunt and a way to keep us fans talking about the band (traffic = google ranking = more media = more hits = I think you get it by now) and talking about them to our friends. Then again, you never know. Maybe they do find their new singer on youtube.

On a different note. Is it just me or does Crabb's youtube thing seem moderated. Can't find a negative comment about him at all. Nobody is that good. Not even the big pro bands are good enough to only get 100% positive feedback.
sagalady

Beitragvon sagalady » So Jan 27, 2008 2:53 am

Carl1 hat geschrieben:I think Eric Crabb, out of all the ones I've seen so far is the most confident in terms of vocals and presentation.

Agreed!

I think he probably would be a good front man for the right band (not sure if Saga is the one, need to hear more)

Agreed!

although I understand what Sagalady means about the stage moves. I think he's probably looked at the other video's and thought about trying to make his stand out from those already on line.

If this was a an audition for a band like Bon Jovi or that kind of rock then Crabb would be spot on fricking perfect. He ticks all the right boxes for a band like that. Moves, looks, voice, wailings, hair, body, everything.

But it's not.

The problem being he's tried too hard and ended up making his stage moves too full on and created this cheesy rock star persona. The repeated twirls are annoying.

EXACTLY!

Did anyone ever see Darius audition for the UK TV show "Popstars" ?. He gave his own unique take on Britney Spears "Hit Me Baby One More Time" and it was so cheesy it's become world famous and is often shown on piss take TV shows.
A friend of mine did Foot Lose on Canadian Idol. He got fan pages set up about him after that (and yet he got kicked out at first audition).
I have a sneaking feeling unless there is someone exceptional in all departments suddenly posts a clip on Youtube, we wont see anyone on the list actually joining the band. My guess is they already have someone ready to fill the void and that someone may well be quite famous in the rock world already. Only Time Will Tell ;-)

I totally agree with you. Then again, you never know. Someone just might get lucky.

Cheers
sagalady

How YOU could be SAGA’s next singer

Beitragvon Susi » Mo Feb 04, 2008 10:49 am

šтуℓє « ιš, ωнαт уσυ [¢яєαтє]. ησт, ωнαт уσυ [¢σρу]
Susi

Beitragvon Timmer » Mo Feb 04, 2008 10:38 pm

"a pending South American tour..."
That sounds interesting.
Timmer

Re: How YOU could be SAGA’s next singer

Beitragvon sagalady » Di Feb 05, 2008 6:02 pm

Susi hat geschrieben:Interview with Ian Crichton:
http://www.q107.com/home/FunStuff/TheQR ... fault.aspx

Nice!!!!!!
sagalady

No deadline announced yet?

Beitragvon Mismerizer616 » Sa Feb 09, 2008 6:37 pm

For the auditions if they have a tour coming up soon?

New entries seems to be coming almost every day...
Mismerizer616

Beitragvon Letterman » So Feb 17, 2008 5:01 pm

I listen the most Videos.
Crabb is a no go for me. I can’t say exactly why– wrong feel…wrong person…...self-expression....Wind him up - he must position his voice for the higher ranges….
Than there are Elvis Imtitations….
The best voice. Jesus. He always look at the text, but if he sing free…. The man has a range – absolutely stressless he sing higher and higher. This guy is not the person how need a cool video or too much self-expression. Very cool.
But the most important thing - he feel the music.
He only need a little bit more practice in Saga Songs.
Nicht nur das Universum ist gekrümmt, sondern auch die Wahrnehmung
Letterman

Beitragvon Mismerizer616 » Mo Feb 18, 2008 7:23 pm

Accidentally found through Jim Gilmours friends on MySpace,
no video, but all the keyboard parts and enhanced lyrics..

check it out: www.myspace.com/330883887

He even might be Swedish :)

I wonder when are they closing the search and get back to work?
Zuletzt geändert von Mismerizer616 am Do Feb 21, 2008 9:10 am, insgesamt 1-mal geändert.
Mismerizer616

Beitragvon sagalady » Mo Feb 18, 2008 8:10 pm

Mismerizer616 hat geschrieben:
He even might be Swedish :)

Uhm, well the profile says the guy is Swedish. Even if it didn't, the vocal style is a dead give-away. Typically Swedish sound.
sagalady

Beitragvon Letterman » Mo Feb 18, 2008 9:03 pm

sagalady hat geschrieben:. Even if it didn't, the vocal style is a dead give-away.

;)
Uhhmp - It sounds a little bit like :speedy:
Nicht nur das Universum ist gekrümmt, sondern auch die Wahrnehmung
Letterman

Beitragvon Mismerizer616 » Di Feb 19, 2008 11:10 am

Well, Saga is a Swedish name and word :)

And this guy has no Swedish accent I can tell...

What worries me is that Mike was also quite important composer
and musician in the band, a hard spot indeed for a newcomer...
He must have experience and should be old enough to
fit in the SAGA possé :)
Zuletzt geändert von Mismerizer616 am Mi Feb 20, 2008 2:55 pm, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Mismerizer616

Beitragvon Carl1 » Di Feb 19, 2008 4:13 pm

Whilst vocal styles are a listeners personal taste, I think an accented voice won't work for Saga. I like a lot of Swedish, Danish, Finnish and Norwegian bands but the vast majority of them have one thing in common with singers, and that is that you can tell they are foreigners singing in a language that's not their native tongue.
It's this issue that can put people off a band and Saga who had a unique and gifted singer who sings with no trace of an accent, I can't imagine it would work if they replaced Michael with anyone who's not either Canadian, American or from the UK. No offence intended to anyone not from those 3 parts of the world.
Carl1

VorherigeNächste

Zurück zu News