Problems with contact!

Problems with contact!

Beitragvon keithm » Do Apr 02, 2009 8:40 pm

I've found contact to be of poor visual quality, now I see the double dvd/cd is NTSC region 0: it's supposed to be PAL region 2. Has anyone got a PAL version of this? Have I been sent the wrong version to the UK?

Great concert but a lot of artifacts on screen.
keithm

Beitragvon sagalady » Do Apr 02, 2009 9:55 pm

I have a PAL version of it. Plays perfectly on a DVD player bought at WHS in UK, although I live in Sweden.

Where did you order your DVD from?
sagalady

Beitragvon keithm » Do Apr 02, 2009 10:56 pm

Play.com does your actually say PAL on the cover?
keithm

Beitragvon sagalady » Do Apr 02, 2009 11:09 pm

I believe it does. Don't have it at hand right now. As far as I remember it says PAL on it.
sagalady

Beitragvon Susi » Do Apr 02, 2009 11:42 pm

I don't think it is PAL for Contact was only released in NTSC ;)
šтуℓє « ιš, ωнαт уσυ [¢яєαтє]. ησт, ωнαт уσυ [¢σρу]
Susi

Beitragvon sagalady » Fr Apr 03, 2009 12:49 am

You are right. It does say NTSC format.

Weird. I know my DVD player does not play NTSC as I've tried before. The TV here is definitely NOT NTSC either.

Stuck one in my mac and had a look at disk utility to see what it said and it came up as UDF - Universal Disk Format.

Now I am confused.
sagalady

Beitragvon legins5 » Fr Apr 03, 2009 12:40 pm

I have to say I agree...I found the picture quality was rather grotty at times,especially when the blue stage lights were on.Same with disc 2 as well.I know this is ntsc via pal but others I have in same have been a lot better...(it's the only complaint...The music,the band,the filming are FANTASTIC!!!)
legins5

Beitragvon Social Orphan » Di Apr 07, 2009 3:15 pm

legins5 hat geschrieben:I have to say I agree...I found the picture quality was rather grotty at times,especially when the blue stage lights were on.Same with disc 2 as well.I know this is ntsc via pal but others I have in same have been a lot better...(it's the only complaint...The music,the band,the filming are FANTASTIC!!!)

I have the NTSC version Region 0 and play it here in the USA. I agree the picture quality is very poor. It's too bad, I can just imagine the band's reaction upon seeing the quality of the filming after the show. They had already promised and excited us about the DVD release and then the filming was awful.

The blue lights make the band look blurry...especially Jim Gilmour and Chris. All distance shots also look blurry and at times Michael looks to have these wierd flouresant veins like an alien.

Still, all that being said I am glad Saga still released it. This is one of those shows where you only have one opportunity to capture it...it can not be refilmed. And the performance of the band I find really good. Must say, I am not impressed with the extra features though. Worlds Apart Revisited is far superior.
Social Orphan

Beitragvon Adrian C » So Apr 12, 2009 9:59 am

I have to say that I agree .
Sadly I found the same. :cry: :cry:
The picture quality could be better and, at times, so could the sound. Having said that I will try and put it through my Hi-Fi and see what that's like.
It's not over until it's over.
Adrian C

Lousy!

Beitragvon Ole » Sa Apr 18, 2009 11:50 pm

You can all be sure the concert/raw footage was filmed in "PAL" by the german production company contracted for the filming, but was then standards converted to lower quality NTSC for editing purposes and released as NTSC Region 0 only which can be played on all PAL DVD players, albeit with poorer resolution and color quality etc. I believe this was a deliberate choice to save money in the editing process (edited in the US/Canada, only choice there is NTSC) and also to save money in the release, no dual editing/format releases, one DVD master/stamper only region 0 etc. Very poor choice of the people in charge of this project, especially since most of the DVD sales are in Germany/North Europe where PAL is the standard. Basically they forced the european fan base to invest in a low quality bastardized release just to save money. :o :box:
Zuletzt geändert von Ole am So Apr 19, 2009 2:17 pm, insgesamt 2-mal geändert.
Ole

Beitragvon Ole » Sa Apr 18, 2009 11:54 pm

Social Orphan hat geschrieben:
legins5 hat geschrieben:I have to say I agree...I found the picture quality was rather grotty at times,especially when the blue stage lights were on.Same with disc 2 as well.I know this is ntsc via pal but others I have in same have been a lot better...(it's the only complaint...The music,the band,the filming are FANTASTIC!!!)

I have the NTSC version Region 0 and play it here in the USA. I agree the picture quality is very poor. It's too bad, I can just imagine the band's reaction upon seeing the quality of the filming after the show. They had already promised and excited us about the DVD release and then the filming was awful.

The blue lights make the band look blurry...especially Jim Gilmour and Chris. All distance shots also look blurry and at times Michael looks to have these wierd flouresant veins like an alien.

Still, all that being said I am glad Saga still released it. This is one of those shows where you only have one opportunity to capture it...it can not be refilmed. And the performance of the band I find really good. Must say, I am not impressed with the extra features though. Worlds Apart Revisited is far superior.

The show was filmed in PAL, then standards converted to NTSC which makes it blurry already there. When it is played in a PAL DVD player it is either displayed in NTSC through the video input of the monitor or converted to PAL which makes it even worse. Unbelievable!
Ole

Zurück zu News