Worlds Apart Revisited Review

Worlds Apart Revisited Review

Beitragvon ontheloose » Mi Mai 23, 2007 10:14 pm

I Finally recieved my copy of the double DVD and double CD, Worlds Apart Revisted

After several viewings and listening, I have come up with the following review:

DVD 1

The first DVD starts off with Saga's live show from December 8th, 2005 in Pratteln Switzerland. The band kick off the show with a superb rendition of their Heads or Tales classic The Pitchman, feels like 1983 all over again.

Next up is the rarely played Give 'Em The Money from their 1978 debut album, the vocals on this show that Michael Sadler has lost none of the fantastic chops through the years.

Normally left for encores the next tune is the classic You're Not Alone, Michael really gets he crowd going on this one, conducting them like a choir master as the crowd sing their hearts out on the chorus.

The band then kick in to a great version of one of my favourite rare Saga songs, See Them Smile.

Next up is The Runaway from 2001's House of Cards, a good song, but a little out of place among the classic older songs.

Back to 1978 again now with a fantastic version of Ice Nice, the interplay between Jim Gilmour on keyboards and Ian Crichton on guitar on the end section of this song is electrifying.

Now the moment we have all been waiting for, the whole of the classic Worlds Apart from 1981, exactly in the same track order as on the album.

On The Loose starts with ever growing excitment in the audience. Singing every word along with Michael the crowd are going crazy, this continues with the next song, Wind Him Up.

Amnesia is next, and this version is slightly different from the album version, Michael sings the repetitive chorus of this song in slightly different style than the studio version, making it oddly more catchy and memorable.

Framed sees the band kick in to a great instrumental jam in the middle section, all of the musicians show off their superb skills here and I don't think I have ever seen the band so tight in a long time.

The pace is then slowed down with a great version of Time's Up with Michael letting the crowd sing the chorus on their own, as he does during most of the show.

The pace picks up again with the song The Interview, bringing back more memories of 1981.

As Michael and Jim Crichton take up residence behind the mass of keyboards, Jim Gilmour takes centre stage with clairinet in hand for a fantastic version of No Regrets.

Next up is the suberb instrumental Conversations, again the musicianship of the band here is unbelievable. Brian Doerner, although he will never replace Steve Negus in the hearts of Saga fans, fits into the band like a glove and looks like he has been playing with the band for decades instead of just 2 years.

Michael then straps on Jim Critchon's bass gutiar for the closing song from the album, the electrifying No Stranger.

Jim Gilmour starts a piano solo that morphs into their hit from 1983, Scratching The Surface, where he also takes on vocal duties.

Next up is a song from 2004's execellent Network album, Keep It Reel is one of the standout tracks from that CD and live it is just as strong.

Next up is a huge surprise, from 1987's Wildest Dreams when the band were recording as a trio, is the song We've Been Here Before which has not been played live in years.

The DVD comes to a close with four of Saga's best loved tunes. Humble Stance, Don't Be Late, How Long and Careful Where You Step.

Overall I give this concert 9.5 out of 10. If they had played The Flyer it would be 10/10 :)

DVD 2

This DVD starts off with Jim Gilmour and Ian Critchon telling stories about writing and recording Worlds Apart in England back in 1981. They also recount some amusing road stories including fire extuingishers, handcuffs and beds on fire.

The next section shows Saga live in England in 1981, the live tracks are What's It Gonna Be, Humble Stance, Don't Be Late, The Interview and Careful Where You Step.

Next up is a mini Documentary with interviews with the band and live versions of some of the biggest hits from Worlds Apart.

The DVD closes with a Photo Gallery with photos from England during the writing and recording of Worlds Apart in 1981.

CD 1 and 2

This is basically the audio version of DVD 1, the whole Pratteln concert in the same tracking order.

Ken
www.ontheloose.org.uk
ontheloose

Beitragvon Mdf34 » So Jun 03, 2007 3:32 pm

so you recommend getting the whole package?
Mdf34

Beitragvon ontheloose » Mo Jun 04, 2007 11:17 pm

Yes, get the whole package, both DVDs and CDs, you will not be disappointed

Ken
www.ontheloose.org.uk
ontheloose

Beitragvon wilkie UK » Mi Jun 27, 2007 11:39 am

I've got to agree with Ken, this is not something to be missed! I was particularly interested in Ian and Daryl's memories of the house they lived in, whilst recording 'WA'. I never realised they were staying in Maidenhead, as that's only 20 miles from where I live! 8)
The point of the journey is not to arrive......
wilkie UK

Beitragvon MichaelNoi » Fr Jun 29, 2007 7:40 am

I´m sure you visited that house in Maidenhead already, didn´t you :eg:
MichaelNoi

Beitragvon wilkie UK » Fr Jun 29, 2007 11:59 am

MichaelNoi hat geschrieben:I´m sure you visited that house in Maidenhead already, didn´t you :eg:
Not yet :eg:
The point of the journey is not to arrive......
wilkie UK

Beitragvon After Forever » Fr Mai 16, 2008 6:30 pm

Excellent DVD!I like it very much!
After Forever

Zurück zu SAGA Fans around the world