Alias Eye Question File (English)

Alias Eye Question File (English)

Beitragvon Uschi » Do Jun 17, 2004 5:13 pm

Phil Griffiths, singer of Alias Eye, kindly agreed to answer questions and to discuss music on the forum of Saga Germany.

Fully aware that Alias Eyes, similar to Saga, have a non-German speaking fan base we wanted to create an opportunity for them also to talk to Phil.

This is what this thread is about! Here you have the opportunity to ask all the questions you always wanted to ask, from the brand of instruments they use, where to get sheet music to the colour of Phil's underwear (..er... well... maybe not ;) ) and so on.....

Plenty of info about the band and the new album A Different Point of You is available on the homepage of Alias Eyes: http://www.aliaseye.com/

Have fun :D
Uschi

Beitragvon FlyerPR » So Jun 20, 2004 7:47 pm

hi
Why the name 'Alias Eye'? any reason?
FlyerPR

Beitragvon Phil-aliaseye » Di Jun 22, 2004 2:02 pm

Well,
it's a play on words: an alias is name you choose for yourself in order to hide behind its anonymity. Eye sounds like "I" but also emphasizes the visual aspects of social/cultural identity. I like fooling around with different concepts of identity and alias eye sounds kinda cool, so that's where the name came from. ;)
All the best, Phil: alias eye
Phil-aliaseye

Beitragvon Uschi » Di Jun 22, 2004 4:21 pm

So you are also responsible for the title A Different Point of You?
Uschi

Beitragvon Phil-aliaseye » Di Jun 22, 2004 11:11 pm

Hi Uschi,
yep. I like lyrics that do not have a fixed meaning but that remain ambivalent. That upgrades the role of the listener who has to construct meaning actively, thus getting involved in a creative way.
All the best,
Phil
Phil-aliaseye

Beitragvon Uschi » Fr Jul 30, 2004 12:48 am

Finally I made it! I managed to write something down about A Different Point of You

I always get wary if someone recommends to me an album as the best since the invention of sliced bread. I know that others share my reservations towards fanboy behaviour therefore I will try to describe A Different Point of You so that people who don't know the music get, hopefully, a good idea.

The album consists of 9 songs that are quite poppy for a prog album. This effect is basically a result of the little game that AE plays with elements of all kinds of pop/rock and other styles.

Noises of an Arab bazaar lead us in best prog tradition into the first song A Clown's Tale which continues with oriental elements right through to the end.
Fake the Right plunges us into a funky energetic tune followed by Your Other Way, a song that starts with a Spanish guitar, featuring accordion and sung harmonies.
Icarus Unworded begins quietly with piano and vocals, building up slowly to a powerful pop tune, mainly carried by Phil's strong vocals.
The Usual Routine is yet another funky song with a trip into the thirties jazz music by means of a piano interlude and something that sounds like a muted trumpet.
Drifting is a ballad that yet features another in rock seldom heard instrument: a bowed double bass.
On The Fringe takes us to Australia with the suppressed, emulated sound of a didgeridoo before building up into lush symphonic passages with a guitar part that could be from Ian Chrichton, just briefly slowed down by an elegant interlude that is introduced by a bowed double bass accompanied by piano that then slowly builds up again to the symphonic melody and the song is ending in a fashion worthy an orchestra.
The Great Open relies again more on Phil's vocals starting off as a classical rock ballad, enriched by a strong, guitar dominated, instrumental passage with which the ballad turns into a prog tune.
Too Much Toulouse is a crooner ballad that would bring tears to Frank Sinatra eyes. I couldn't help having the vision of Alias Eye's future with Phil leaning on a piano, a whisky glass in his hand, pleasing the audience with songs of love and joy...... well, maybe not.

To sum it up, with excellent musicianship and clever arrangements AE produces a patchwork of different styles ornamented with strong vocals and interesting instrumental passages.

If you didn't get the idea yet you just have to get the album A Different Point of You ;)
Uschi

Beitragvon silent_voices » Fr Jul 30, 2004 10:03 am

Phil-aliaseye hat geschrieben:Hi Uschi,
yep. I like lyrics that do not have a fixed meaning but that remain ambivalent. That upgrades the role of the listener who has to construct meaning actively, thus getting involved in a creative way.
All the best,
Phil

Hello Phil,

thats great! :D So you can reach many different types of people with your music. They can use their phantasy and choose the way of interpretation they love and identify with.

Phil, do you want to tell a little about your former doing in life? I've read the lines about all members of band on http://www.aliaseye.com but there are only some information after the founding of alias eye.

greetz.
sv
silent_voices

Beitragvon aliasey2 » Mo Aug 02, 2004 1:05 pm

Hi Silent voices,
do you mean what I do personally or do you want to know more about the band?
All the best, Phil
aliasey2

Beitragvon silent_voices » Mo Aug 02, 2004 3:02 pm

aliasey2 hat geschrieben:Hi Silent voices,
do you mean what I do personally or do you want to know more about the band?
All the best, Phil

Hi Phil,

both. I would like to read more about your musical acticities before founding your band. and of course, it is always great to get more information about the band alias eye :D

greetings from
sv
silent_voices

Zurück zu Tour 2004