The very first Saga experience/song?

The very first Saga experience/song?

Beitragvon Niki » Sa Feb 09, 2008 9:54 pm

..This might be an old topic but I'm curious as a new member.. :)

I wa 14 yrs old.. mmm...young ;)
..Humble Stance (live) was my first :)
If telling the truth is too hard today, keep your silence, save it for later, but never lie. -Dad-
Niki

Beitragvon kuschelhawk » So Feb 10, 2008 9:01 pm

... my first meeting with Saga was, that a schoolfriend sold me the LP "Images at twilight". The next days ... weeks ;) I heard it again and again. And than came the day, I've seen a notice at the Metropol in Berlin: Saga live on stage. That was my first show, in 1981 :D
Come to me I will give and receive
All I need is for you to believe
Come to me I can help you feel free
Take my hand & understand that I believe
kuschelhawk
Contributors
Contributors

Beitragvon MichaelNoi » Mi Feb 13, 2008 3:07 pm

well, well a long time ago...let me think :lol:

1981, I think...Wind him up, on the Loose were the first songs I noticed at first at the radio stations.
Then I bought the first three and the world´s appart LP´s very quick ;)
MichaelNoi

Beitragvon AlexO » Mi Feb 13, 2008 5:23 pm

On The Loose (video) at "Ronny´s Pop Show" (yes, the TV show with an ape...) was my first contact with Saga. I still have that recording somewhere....
AlexO

Beitragvon Niki » Fr Feb 15, 2008 8:51 pm

Interesting :wink:
When I started with Saga (Humble S. etc) I used to sing along with all the instruments one by one, - fell in love with the guitar + synth riffs, timing, chords & of course Michaels unique voice!
Great times...boy, did I have fun! :cheer2:

Wanna hear more from you. K, M, and A cannot be the only ones with these experiences to share?

BTW Alex, I never saw Ronny's with the ape! tell me more! TV show with an ape?? When?
If telling the truth is too hard today, keep your silence, save it for later, but never lie. -Dad-
Niki

Beitragvon AlexO » Fr Feb 15, 2008 9:16 pm

Niki hat geschrieben:Interesting :wink:
When I started with Saga (Humble S. etc) I used to sing along with all the instruments one by one, - fell in love with the guitar + synth riffs, timing, chords & of course Michaels unique voice!
Great times...boy, did I have fun! :cheer2:

Wanna hear more from you. K, M, and A cannot be the only ones with these experiences to share?

BTW Alex, I never saw Ronny's with the ape! tell me more! TV show with an ape?? When?

Ronnys Pop Show was very special: an Ape dubbed with the voice of German comedian Otto Waalkes and music clips mixed in between. It was broadcast from 1982 until 1988 (according to wikipedia)
to get an idea check this out and enjoy (?) - in the end you can see Otto himself:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2-qwQssbfVs
AlexO

Beitragvon roxy13 » Sa Feb 16, 2008 2:01 am

My first memory of SAGA is from our schoolbus :o .Our driver let us play tapes and this guy called Peter used to bring SAGA-tapes 8) . Must have been 1983/84.
Needless to say, I loved my busrides to school :eg: !!!

A Brief Case is the tune I remember...the drum-solo all the guys knew...and me :hase: !

Last summer my brother and I had a listen to old SAGA songs and the funny thing was...we didn´t sing the same parts :o . I sang the keyboard parts and he the guitar :rofl: . But then we swapped and we both knew that one too :lol: !
Strange experience, but great fun!

I´ve never seen Ronny´s Pop Show as I live in Sweden, but I did see Peter´s Pop Show...and I´m pretty sure SAGA was on there once, or am I totally confused here :roll: ?
roxy13

Beitragvon alexandertheprettygood » Sa Feb 16, 2008 3:00 am

Hey, Niki! I'd like to begin by saying your audition was by far the best! Umm, first Saga experience...I'll start with What Do I Know?, cuz that's the song that finally convinced me to go buy a Saga album. I liked all the singles I heard before then, but I was more of a musician and music addict by '85 and therefore was better at noticing what great players Saga are. Especially Ian, no offense to the others, whose guitar really helped Saga stand apart from other bands I thought they sounded similar to, like Fixx, U2, Flock of Seagulls (only on first impression!). Worlds Apart was my first purchase, then Heads or Tails, then Behaviour. Needless to say, the qualities of the other guys became quickly apparent, now I have no favorite member, but honestly, it was Ian who first caught my ear. Still my favorite guitarist!!!
alexandertheprettygood

the Pop Shows

Beitragvon AlexO » Mo Feb 18, 2008 12:36 pm

I think I have to explain about all the Pop Shows on German television.
As far as I remeber there were these shows back then in the eighties:

Ronnys Pop Show - yes, the "ape" show. I remember seeing Saga with "On the loose" there
Tommys Pop Show - similar show but with well know presenter / interviewer Thomas Gotschalk. I remember Saga with "The flyer" there and a short interview with Michael Sadler
Peters Pop Show - a playback / live appearance show at some bigger venue. Presenter was Peter Illmann of "Formel Eins" fame, a clip show from the early eighties. I remember Saga being ther twice: at least with "Take a chance" (http://youtube.com/watch?v=564y7JuYEo0) "What do I know" and "Only Time will tell" - correct me if I´m wrong

and last but not least there were
Rock Pop - show from the late 70s mostly with playback stuff - Saga were the with "Humble Stance"
Rock Pop in Concert - a show with material from various concerts. Saga were there 1981 (Dortmund Westfalenhalle, http://youtube.com/watch?v=HrkVWVgwwfc) and 1985 (the first Rock am Ring festival) with 4 songs (http://youtube.com/watch?v=mLOcjrGswkc)

that ´s all by now :-)
AlexO

Beitragvon Niki » Mo Feb 18, 2008 2:32 pm

AlexO hat geschrieben:..to get an idea check this out and enjoy (?) - in the end you can see Otto himself:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2-qwQssbfVs

..on my way :) Thanks!

roxy13 hat geschrieben:My first memory of SAGA is from our schoolbus :o .Our driver let us play tapes and this guy called Peter used to bring SAGA-tapes 8)

:rofl: Yes..tapes - cassettes :lol: My first Saga tape streched so badly it finally snapped. I remember this like yesterday, but it was also the reason why I became quite pro in repairing broken tapes using tape or nailpolish remover.. :bg: :lach:

alexandertheprettygood hat geschrieben:Hey, Niki! I'd like to begin by saying your audition was by far the best! Umm, first Saga experience...
:girl3: :yeah:
alexandertheprettygood hat geschrieben:I'll start with What Do I Know?, cuz that's the song that finally convinced me to go buy a Saga album..
I love that one! 8) ..Like all the songs..
alexandertheprettygood hat geschrieben: but honestly, it was Ian who first caught my ear. Still my favorite guitarist!!!
Yes, you are right. Ian's style is unique, one of the best! I also feel Saga has been a very lucky band for their combination of amazingly well together fitting pieces.. musicians and styles :ja:
Niki

Beitragvon PippyIII » So Dez 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Where's Larry? ;)
:speedy: There's so much information that I think I'm loosing it...
PippyIII

alex rael

Beitragvon alex rael » Sa Mai 16, 2009 10:25 pm

A good time for all fans saga!
I'm fresh - this is my first post. In advance sorry for my English.
What saga came in 1981 when a friend brought me a tape recording Worlds apart. Since I am sick of their music. I remember like it was new and fresh for the other groups.
Since then, Saga was the life and music religion not only for me but for my daughter.
Now I have a complete collection of CD and DVD, but not enough of a concert that I saw on TV - this was the time immediately after the album Worlds Apart, where the keyboards were in the form of Egyptian pyramids. These in turn, came Michael, Jan, Jim and Steve ...Still can not forget this fantastic concert. I hope that the time to find his video.Thank 's
alex rael

Zurück zu Talk